cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 performance with mix of PFC3BXL, DFC3CXL and CFC modules

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Am looking at a 6500 which has WS-SUP720-3BXL and WS-X6708 with DFC3 CXL.

It also has 5x 6748 cards with CFC installed.

If I check the platform mode its 3BXL, as its fallen back to the module fitted to the SUP720.

As this switch also has some line cards fitted with CFC's what is the total system forwarding capability?

Is it 30Mpps for all 5 of the 6748/CFC cards and a higher rate for the WS-SUP720-3BXL and WS-X6708, or 30Mpps across the whole system?

Initially I understood it to be 30Mpps across all slots, regardless of cards and modules fitted if a CFC existed in the chassis.

After reading several architecture documents now I'm not so sure it is that simple.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The sup720B provides 30 Mpps (NB: regardless of packet size!), when in fabric mode.  This performance is shared by all your CEF720 line cards without DFCs.

For your DFC3 equiped CEF720 line cards, each DFC provides 48 Mpps to traffic ingressing on that card.  Such traffic doesn't need to use the main sup's PPS.

The XL variants do not increase PPS performance, but they do support larger number of routes.

The DFC3C variants are "optimized" for use with the VS-S720.  With a sup720B, they run in 3B mode.  (BTW, the VS-S720s offer more PPS with a single and dual sup, vs. sup720B.)

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for answering that.

So for traffic between CFC line card ports, 30mpps, between DFC3 line card ports 48Mpps, what about traffic crossing the switch between CFC and DFC3 enabled ports?

I expect as the switch is not state-full you would have maximum forwarding performance of 30Mpps in one direction and 48Mpps in the other, is that right? I'm not too concerned about this, its more of an academic question.

What forwarding performance does the VS-sup720 provide when used with CFC enabled cards, all references I've seen just discuss using DFC's.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Traffic ingressing on a non-DFC card will use (and share) the sup's Mpps.

Traffic ingress on a DFC card will use the card's DFC Mpps.

Traffic egressing on either card, has already used the PPS of the ingress.

"All the links in the Cisco Virtual Switching Supervisor Engine 720 can be active simultaneously even in the redundant configurations, thereby increasing the supervisor throughput from 48 to 82 Mpps."

I.e. 48 Mpps since sup, 82 Mpps with 2nd sup.

BTW, the sup2T offers even more single sup PPS, 60 (?) Mpps.

You might find this of interest: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/107258-C6K-PFC-DFC-CFC.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco