Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Portchannel Allowed VLANs Trunk

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

I am having a problem getting allowed trunks to show up in my configuration

I am setting up the portchannels on the 6513 to trunk. I have them set for encap dot1q, switchport, and switchport mode trunk.

When I go to add the switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2,100,110... it doesnt get added.

When I issue the show interface port-channel 6 trunk it shows that no vlans are allowed?

Probably an easy question that I am just missing.

The port channel is shut down but is not yet connected to the other switch so it is admin up protocol down.

Thanks

James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try removing all vlans but those 3 and see what happens

switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 1,3-99,101-109,111-1025 etc...

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

abbey1234
Level 1
Level 1

possible example of syntax:

Port-channel64

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 123, 124, 125

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

no ip address

That's exactly the command set I used. Didnt show up in the running config.

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps if you provide us a copy of your running config we can see something missing... i.e. port shutdown or no vlan in vtp domain database.......

jason.henderson
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried allowing the vlans on the interfaces that belong to the port-channel? Make sure they're all the same config.

Shouldn't have to do that really. That's kind of the purpose of the portchannel in the first place. I will have about 16 different port channels on each 6513. Largest portchannel will be 4 ports. I'd prefer to just configure the portchannel with the VLANs as opposed to all the physical ports.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try removing all vlans but those 3 and see what happens

switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 1,3-99,101-109,111-1025 etc...

Interesting thought. Will give it a shot. But right now it says I have NONE allowed. Maybe a little reverse psychology will do the switch good!

Glen you were definitely on the right track. I brought up the other side of the portchannel so I could troubleshoot.

What it ended up being is that on CoreA I had VLANs 1-4094 allowed and on CoreB I had only the VLANs I wanted to allow in the config.

I remembered that some point in the early troubleshooting of this issue that I put the switchport trunk allowed VLAN add all command. Unfortunately for Cisco users, this actual command does not show up in the running config.

I ended up doing a switchport trunk allowed vlan none command then issued the switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,100,110 and now only those correct VLANs are on the trunk.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now I am off to configure the HA for the FWSM on the two Chassis. I am sure you will hear from me again soon.

Five stars to Glen! Thanks.

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco