Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Router Rommon problem.

Hello,

My Cisco 6509 Router is trying to reboot continuously. It is not going to even in the ROMMON mode and so I can't give any command input, can't change the config-register or anything. The message I'm getting from console login is:

*** System received a Software forced crash ***
signal= 0x17, code= 0x5, context= 0x0
PC = 0x801000f4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x30409003

System Bootstrap, Version 8.5(2)
Copyright (c) 1994-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Cat6k-Sup720/SP processor with 1048576 Kbytes of main memory

Autoboot executing command: "boot bootflash:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI14.bin"
Loading image, please wait ...

Initializing ATA monitor library...

Error : compressed image checksum is incorrect 0x1C5885C7
Expected a checksum of 0xAA32AD56

*** System received a Software forced crash ***
signal= 0x17, code= 0x5, context= 0x0
PC = 0x801000f4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x30409003

System Bootstrap, Version 8.5(2)
Copyright (c) 1994-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Cat6k-Sup720/SP processor with 1048576 Kbytes of main memory

Autoboot executing command: "boot bootflash:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI14.bin"
Loading image, please wait ...

Initializing ATA monitor library...

It's just looping again and again. How can I solve this issue? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

11 Replies 11

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

This may help.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/17050-14.html

Thanks Cofee@0400.

But the problem is, I can't input a single letter from console as the router is continuously looping. Even if it was in the ROMMON mode, I could run the Rommon recovery commands. But it is not taking any input.

If I remove the sup-bootflash card physically and try to boot it from disk0:, will it be helpful?

Have you tried hard reboot and reseating of sup module ? Also did you check if fan tray seated properly? If so you can go ahead and try to boot from external memory 

Hi cofee@0400,

Yes, I have given hard reboot several times and the result is same. I also opened and reconnected the Sup-module. But the issue was still same.

The only thing I can check now is open the Sup-module aside and try to reboot. 

By the way, I guess the running config is creating this problem. Is there any way where I can erase the running config at this stage?

Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Expected a checksum of 0xAA32AD56

This means the IOS file the supervisor card is trying to read is corrupt.  

Recovering a Catalyst 6500/6000 Running Cisco IOS System Software from a Corrupted or Missing Boot Loader Image or ROMmon Mode

Thanks Leo.

Actually, the sup-bootflash and disk0: both have 3 images each. And the BOOTLDR is trying to boot from only 1 image. I wish I could change the BOOTLDR but since it is not going to ROMMON mode, I can't give any input.

Is there any way where I can erase the running config or change the BOOTLDR at this stage?

If the system boots into ROMmon, then change the config-registry to 0x2101.  This will force the system to boot any viable IOS. 

Once the system boots up, change the config-registry value back to 0x2102.

Hi Leo,

The Sup-module is not going to even in the ROMMON mode. Just looping again and again. That is the problem. 

If it would go to the ROMMON mode, I could follow what you said (config-registry --> 0x2101, then 0x2102.)

Click the link I've provided.  There is clear instructions on how to interrupt the boot process.

OK guys,

This issue is solved.

Problem:1) Sup-1 was looping continuously and not coming into ROMMON mode.

Solution:
Opened the Sup-module, opened the sup-bootflash, opened the RAM and then reconnected all those and powered up the Sup-module. Then it came to ROMMON.

The sup-bootflash and in the disk0, both had 3 images each (same 3 images). Then typed the following:

rommon1 > confreg 2

rommon > reset

Then the router booted from one of the 3 valid images. After router is up, I changed the config register to 0x2102 and reboot it again.

Router (config) # config-register 0x2102.

Router (config) # do wr.

Router (config) # end

Router # reload

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. Have a nice day.

Thanks for taking time to let us know how the issue was resolved. It will be beneficial for the Cisco community. Glad to hear that you are back in business.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: