cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Sup-2T unable to get into Rommon

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, I have an issue with a customers 6503 with Sup-2T cards, where we are locked out of the console due to an authentication configuration error. So tried several times to get the card into rommon, with no success.

Checking through the various documents on CCO I dont find any reference to rommon on this card, but do find information on using the CMP to support the supervisor. I logged into the CMP but couldn't find a way from there to do a password reccovery either.

So, is the `normal' IOS rommon/password recovery method supported, I'm sure it must be, or do I have to use the CMP for this?

Andy                  

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

Please follow instructions on this document step by step and for step 5 refer to below

notes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_password_recovery09186a0080

133fb1.shtml

There is one minor change to this procedure to perform the password-recovery on the Sup2T.

The change is in Step 5

Step 5:  Caution: The break sequence must be initiated only after the RP  gains control of

the console port.

Press Break on the terminal keyboard right after the RP gains control of the console port.

On the Catalyst 6000 that runs Cisco IOS Software, the SP boots first. After it has

booted, it turns control over to the RP. After the RP gains control, initiate the break

sequence. The RP gains control of the console port when you see this message. (Do not

initiate the break sequence until you see this message):

> 00:00:03:  OIR-6-CONSOLE  Changing console ownership to route processor

From this point on, the password recovery procedure is the same as for any other router.

If the break sequence does not work, refer to the Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations

During Password Recovery for other key combinations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.sh

tml

So , hit break before the image starts decompressing.  Please try this and

let me know if this helps.

2)

Step 1: Get into the CMP on the Sup2T

Press Ctrl+c and Shift+M thrice

Once you are in

Sup2t-CMP# password

Once you are done,

Press Ctrl+R  and Shift+M thrice to get out of CMP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-663635.html

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate the usefull posts.

Hi Inayath,

I found that document, you are correct, that the sup-2T doesnt output the %OIR-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to route processor message, but I was trying break frequently through several reboot sequencies. I'm going back on Monday for another go, the system isnt live just yet.

question on the CMP password change, does that change the password just on the CMP or on the RP as well?

Also, can I alter the RP start-up configuration from the CMP, if that is possible then I may be able to fix this issue using that method.

Thanks, Andy

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card