Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 sup 720 IOS upgrade question

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I read this document about upgrading the IOS on a 6500 with redundant Sup720-3Bs. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/71585-cat6k-red-supeng-swimg-upg.html. ; I am going from IOS 12.2(33)SXH to 12.2(33)SXJ10.

When I got to the part after the standby comes up on the new version and its time to issue "redundancy force-switchover", what sort of network disruption should I be expecting as I switch to the newly upgraded standby Sup?

Regards,

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

There is a note at the end of step 13 in that document, stating that "In middle of the software upgrade procedure, the operational redundancy mode is RPR. This is evident from the show redundancy states command output shown in step 12. In RPR redundancy, during switchover, all switching modules are powered on again. So there is be a few minutes of downtime."

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

There is a note at the end of step 13 in that document, stating that "In middle of the software upgrade procedure, the operational redundancy mode is RPR. This is evident from the show redundancy states command output shown in step 12. In RPR redundancy, during switchover, all switching modules are powered on again. So there is be a few minutes of downtime."

Thanks Iulian.  This indeed happened when I performed this upgrade over the weekend.

You sure took a while to go for it :)...

Priorities, what can I say? :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: