Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 SUP2T Static MAC Adress

rmujeeb81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to configure static mac-address entry for Microsoft NLB multicast mac address into Cisco 6500 (SUP 2T) but it is not accepting the command and giving following message,

"IP-based forwarding is enabled, can't accept group DMAC configuration"

Kindly guide how can I put static mac address entry.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you sure you want to implement Microsoft NLB? The reason why I am asking is because MS themselves DO NOT RECOMMEND the Microsoft NLB as a solution.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Hi Leo,

Actually hardware load balancer is not available currently so the system team wants to use MS NLB option for time being.

Any idea why 6500 is not accepting above mentioned command ?

Thanks & Regards,

Mujeeb

Post the command you are trying to use?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Haihua Rong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The sup2T has the ability to forward multicast traffic in layer 2 by inspecting the IP header (besides the ability to forward it the old way). As this type of forwarding is superior to inspecting the DMAC, this method is used by default. This would cause multicast snooping to be based on the MAC again.

Example:

switch(config)#

switch(config)#vlan conf #

switch(config-vlan-config)#multicast snooping lookup mac

switch(config-vlan-config)#exit

switch(config)#mac-add stat xxxx.xxxx.xxxx vlan # interface x/x disable-snooping

The disable-snooping parameter is essential and applicable only for Cisco Catalyst 6000/6500 series switches. Without this statement, the behavior is not affected.

Documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml

Note:Changes should be done during non business hours to discard an unexpected behavior.

Haihua

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card