Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 VSS and WiSM1 modules

Stuart Patton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Long story short, I have 2x standalone 6509 chassis in a collapsed core, which are identical and providing L3 services through HSRP to my access layer.  They both contain 2x VS-S720-10G (PFC3C) and 1x WiSM1 card.

My question is, can I turn this into a quad VSS setup with the WiSM1 cards?  In the VSS configuration guide for 12.2 (below)...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vss.html

...what is inferred by the following?

After the reboot, each chassis contains the module provisioning for its own slots. In addition, the modules from the VSS standby chassis have been automatically provisioned on the VSS active chassis with default configuration.

Configurations for the VSS standby chassis modules are restored to their default settings (for example, no IP addresses).

Does this mean the WiSM 1 will simply lose it's configuration when the switch converts to VSS?  Would both WiSMs need to be put into the same chassis?

Thanks,

Stuart

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

So, when you convert stand-alone switches to VSS, it will overwrite all your old config because all the port numbering will change. For example, if currently port 2/1 from each switch is connected to an access device, when you convert to VSS port 2/1 from switch 1 will become 1/2/1 and port 2 from switch 2 will become 2/2/1 and so, you need to be ready to re-configure the ports to operate correctly again.

Also, for service modules, you want to put one in one switch and the other one in the other switch.

HTH

Hi Reza

So, when you convert stand-alone switches to VSS, it will overwrite all your old config because all the port numbering will change. For example, if currently port 2/1 from each switch is connected to an access device, when you convert to VSS port 2/1 from switch 1 will become 1/2/1 and port 2 from switch 2 will become 2/2/1 and so, you need to be ready to re-configure the ports to operate correctly again.

The port renumbering was understood, but does the config on the service modules get wiped? ie, in the case of WiSM modules, do I simply need to amend my port-channel interfaces to the two WLC modules on the cards in each chassis?

Regards,

Stuart

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card