cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-E VSS Upgrade question

Scott Conklin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am planning on upgrading my 6509s to use VSS within the next few weeks.  I have checked all of the hardware and software prerequisites, and we are good to go from that perspective.

I do have more of a procedural question- my switches are already configured and in production, VLANs, HSRP (3 IP addresses per VLAN- 1 per switch plus virtual IP), etc.  Does the VSS upgrade take all of this into account and rewrite the configuration correctly, or should I plan on redoing the entire config for the switches after the upgrade?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct. Also, if you are using Sup-2T, it uses PFC4 and some of the QOS commands have changed.  So you may have to redo some of you QOS parameters.

HTH 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Scott,

I would plan in redoing the config, as most of the interface configs will change.  For example, if the current switch uses port 1/1 to connect to a server, after upgrading to VSS, the port will need to be change to 1/1/1 (switch 1 blade 1 port 1)

If you are connecting the same server to switch 2, the port assignment will be 2/1/1 (switch 2 blade 1 port 1).

Also, you would need to delete all your HSRP config, as not needing HSRP or VRRP is one of the benefits of VSS.

Good Luck

HTH

Thanks for the reply.  Would you recommend that I delete the HSRP config before i perform the VSS upgrade?  Or after the VSS upgrade, after the reload, does the HSRP config get deleted?

I would just delete it before you convert it to VSS

HTH

Ok, just so I'm clear, your advice would be to back up the config (which I already have, and will do again right before the upgrade), erase the config on both switches, perform the VSS upgrade, and then put the new config in place, removing all unnecessary config such as HSRP?

And thanks for your help thus far.

That is correct. Also, if you are using Sup-2T, it uses PFC4 and some of the QOS commands have changed.  So you may have to redo some of you QOS parameters.

HTH 

Great, thanks again for all of your input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco