Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 hot swap

opnineopnine
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a doubt , are this modules of the 6509 hot swap?

Supervisor Engine 720 10GE VS-S720-10G ,, this is the standby supervisor and I need to remove it, can I do this on production?.

I will have 2 6509 in vss with one supervisor each, if the supervisor active on the 6509 goes down, will I loose all the 6509? or it will keep working?

thanks!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The module and sup on the 6500 series are how swap able.  Even though they are how swap able I recommend doing it during non-production hours.

I will have 2 6509 in vss with one supervisor each, if the supervisor active on the 6509 goes down, will I loose all the 6509? or it will keep working?

If VSS is configured correctly, when you remove the active sup the stand-by sup will take over packet forwarding.

HTH

Hello Reza & danolac,

Regarding the second question, let me rephrase it:

1                   2 

6509     -----  6509

Active  <vss>  Hot

ON this devices I only have 1 supervisor per 6509. The active sup failes, the Hot takes the role of the Active, what will happen to the 6509 (1) will it still work , sending a receiving traffic?

thanks.

If the VSS standby chassis or supervisor engine fails, no switchover is required. The failed chassis performs recovery action by reloading the supervisor engine.

The VSL links are unavailable while the failed chassis recovers. After the chassis reloads, it becomes the new VSS standby chassis and the VSS reinitializes the VSL links between the two chassis.

The switching modules on the failed chassis are unavailable during recovery, so the VSS operates only with the MEC links that terminate on the VSS active chassis. The bandwidth of the VSS is reduced until the failed chassis has completed its recovery and become operational again. Any devices that are connected only to the failed chassis experience an outage.

I hope this has answered your question.

6509 (1)  will reload and join back as VSS standby. It won't be able to send and receive traffic during that.  It is recommended to have connectivity to both chassis when using VSS(MEC) so that no outage for connected system occurs when this happens.

HTH

Madhu.

David Nolasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
1. are this modules of the 6509 hot swap?
Q. Will the Supervisor 720 support High Availability?

A. The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series offers the highest levels of High Availability (HA) in the industry. The introduction of the Supervisor Engine 720 continues to support previous HA features such as RPR Failover, Full HW Redundancy, Hot-Swap Supervisors, Hot-Swap PSUs, Hot-Swap Modules, Multi Module EtherChannel, MISTP, PSU Load Balancing, HSRP, PortFast, UplinkFast, Backbone, Fast EtherChannel resiliency, 802.1w/802.1s, PAgP, L2 Load Balancing (PVST+), and L3 Load Balancing (Equal cost routing). At introduction, using Cisco IOS version 12.2(14)SX, the supervisor 720 will also support 255 HSRP groups, VRRP and Gateway Load Balancing Protocol. Additionally, the Supervisor 720 also supports NSF/SSO.
Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/prod_qas09186a0080159963.html
2. if the supervisor active on the 6509 goes down, will I loose all the 6509? or it will keep working?

If the VSS active chassis or supervisor engine fails, the VSS initiates a stateful switchover (SSO) and the former VSS standby supervisor engine assumes the VSS active role. The failed chassis performs recovery action by reloading the supervisor engine.

If the VSS standby chassis or supervisor engine fails, no switchover is required. The failed chassis performs recovery action by reloading the supervisor engine.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vss.html#wp1083292
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card