Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 NAM AND Rspan

jackwikinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have the following scenario and some questions.

The environment I have is a 6509E with a NAM (NAM-2-250S) module.

Within the network we have 4 x 4506 Catalyst switches.

What I would like to achieve is the ability to monitor traffic from the 4500's on the NAM module.

From what I have read it appears that RSPAN would fulfill this requirement.

My questions are:

1). I have read that there is a limitation of 2 monitoring sessions on the 6509, is that correct?

2). Has anyone had any experience good or bad with this feature?

3). As a dedicated vlan is required for rspan is there any impact in terms of response time, cpu, memory etc on the destination device being in this case 6500?

4). Any documentation/pdf's would be much appreciated?      

Thanks in Advance.

Jack.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jack,

1). I have read that there is a limitation of 2 monitoring sessions on the 6509, is that correct? correct. The output

sh platform hardware capacity monitor  will provide confirmation

2). Has anyone had any experience good or bad with this feature? I will leave it to the users to respond

3). As a dedicated vlan is required for rspan is there any impact in terms of response time, cpu, memory etc on the destination device being in this case 6500? Creating the vlan itself will have no impact but you may want to review how much traffic you are going to replicate and send out which link.

4). Any documentation/pdf's would be much appreciated? I don't know of any official docs for this particular setup but here is the RSPAN config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/span.htmlf

Fabienne

TAC

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Fabienne Stephanoff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jack,

What code are you running on the 6500?

Fabienne

Hi Fabienne,

I am running 12.2(33)SXI1

Thanks

Jack

Jack,

1). I have read that there is a limitation of 2 monitoring sessions on the 6509, is that correct? correct. The output

sh platform hardware capacity monitor  will provide confirmation

2). Has anyone had any experience good or bad with this feature? I will leave it to the users to respond

3). As a dedicated vlan is required for rspan is there any impact in terms of response time, cpu, memory etc on the destination device being in this case 6500? Creating the vlan itself will have no impact but you may want to review how much traffic you are going to replicate and send out which link.

4). Any documentation/pdf's would be much appreciated? I don't know of any official docs for this particular setup but here is the RSPAN config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/span.htmlf

Fabienne

TAC

Thanks Fabienne.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: