cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Redundant Sup720 - Slave boots into Rommon

jclj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I'm fairly new to networking and need to migrate an old core to a new core. I have a 6509-e Switch that I had an RMA on one of my 720 sup cards. After receiving the sup card I swapped my slave out with the new one, expecting it to boot into ios. It booted into Rommon. I tried to boot the image manually and it did the same thing. I also tried to boot from my flash and, again, booted into Rommon.

Questions:

1. What am i missing here?

2. If i confreg and change the boot to boot from image it tells me i need to reset or power cycle first. Will this reset the entire switch? As this is production I'd rather not.

I am at home now, but I can supply any logs/hardware model/configs tomorrow. I thought I would see if this is an easy fix.

Thanks for the help.

23 Replies 23

As a last resort you can try replacing the current IOS with a newer one using Xmodem.  It defiantly takes a long time to load it because Xmoden is slow, however you can change the baud rate to load it faster.  If that doesn't help, RMA the Sup back to Cisco. I have seen the same issue with Sup-720-VS.  I had to RMA it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

HTH

Hi Chris,

Is the outputs in you 2nd post above from the time you tried to change RP ROMMON? It does not look like that as the supervisor continues to load image after the messages "00:00:05: %OIR-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to route processor"?

00:00:05: %OIR-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to route processor

System Bo otstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
     Technical Sup port: ht tp:/ /w w w.cisco.com/techsup port
     Copyright (c) 20 09 by cisco Systems, Inc.
     Cat6k-Sup720/RP platform with 524288 Kbytes of main memory

Download Start
     ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Break should be sent after seen such message to get into RP ROMMON.

If you made sure RP confreg is set correctly, try with another image in case there are some corruption issues with that one.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

One other option would be to load a newer IOS on disk0: if you have an external flash card.

jclj
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried booting an iOS from flash to with the same results. I will verify I was in RP Rommon before, but may need to RMA the RMA card.

What command are you running to specify which image to boot from?

boot flash:.bin

boot bootflash:.bin

You will have to use it a bit differently:

"boot system disk0:image-name"

Then do "show bootvar", it should look something like this:

BOOT variable = disk0:image-name
CONFIG_FILE variable =
BOOTLDR variable =
Configuration register is 0x2102

jclj
Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted to let everybody know that it was the card. The RMA card I received was also bad. Returned it, got another one and the new one booted up and synced right away.

Thanks for all the help

Thanks for the update.

Please close the post and mark it as solved, so others can benefit from it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card