cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 w/ FWSM

bcon8ive32
Level 1
Level 1

We just installed a 6509 with an FWSM and I need to setup SSH access to the 6509 for monitoring. I would like to have the switch accessible by an inside IP address. However, I have setup the MSFC on the outside of the FWSM so traffic is routed by the MSFC to the outside interface of the FWSM and then internally through three different internal vlans out the FWSM.

My question is, if I create an additional Interface VLAN on the 6509 with and internal IP address, will this bypass the FWSM? I've read that if you have two Layer3 VLAN interfaces, you could bypass the firewall, but if I do not include the vlan in the firewall vlan-group will it still bypass the FWSM?

1 Reply 1

jbrunner007
Level 1
Level 1

it will bypass the firewall in your configuration. if the vlans are in the firewall vlan-group however, I have never tried this. It will not bypass them if the svi's (int vlan xxx)

dont come up/up. I suspect they will.

-Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card