Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 with Sup32 - Recover IOS

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

I deleted the IOS by mistake... I'm trying to recover it. I have tried different things:

1. Copied the IOS to a compact flash (with FAT format). However the disk can't be recognized by the switch. When I do "dir disk0:" it gives me "open: read error, trouble reading device magic number, can't open device disk0"

2. Copied the IOS to a USB key. However when I do "dir usb:" I got the error "storage device from the vendor not supported"

3. Copied the IOS to the switch via xmodem. I followed the instruction on the following link. The file is copied but it rebooted and returned to rommon. I think I might have copied the wrong IOS. I copied the regular IOS. Shoud I use the "boot image" instead?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml

Thanks!

Difan

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Try another CF.  Your CF could be faulty or not the "standard".

2.  USB won't work with Sup32  and Sup720.  USB support starts with Sup2T.

3.  Make sure you compare the MD5 hash of the file with the Cisco website.  Do this BEFORE you upload the IOS.

Thank you Leo. I formated the CF card with a Windows PC and that messed up everything. I formated it again in a Cisco router and that solved it... Thanks!

Thanks for the rating Difan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco