Views
Helpful
Replies

6513 LineCard Throughput check

netadmindha
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

Can you please verify my 6513 Core-switch Linecard throughput check as i am facing slow server performane issue.

1) Are there any performance issues with 6513 module core-switch  and i wanted to know i have a sup 720B in this core-switch

which 720Gb/sc throughput does it mean it is switching throughput or Routing?

2) I guessall CEF 6748  module must have 40G spedd below  ,Please correct me if i am wrong?

6513_CS1#sh fabric status

slot   channel     speed   module               fabric

status               status

2         0       20G       OK                   OK

4         0         8G       OK                   OK

5         0         8G       OK                   OK

7         0       20G       OK                   OK

9         0       20G       OK                   OK

9         1      20G       OK                   OK

10         0       20G       OK                   OK

10         1       20G       OK                   OK

11         0       20G       OK                   OK

11         1       20G       OK                  OK

12         0       20G       OK                   OK

12         1       20G       OK                   OK

13         0       20G       OK                   OK

6513_CS1#sh module

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model             Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

2   24 CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP             WS-X6724-SFP       SAL09264AH4

3   48 48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule     WS-X6148-GE-45AF   SAL09169UD7

4   6 Firewall Module                       WS-SVC-FWM-1       SAD091600HL   ......(Currently NOT IN USE)

5   24 SFM-capable 24-port 100FX Multi mode   WS-X6524-100FX-MM SAL09264L2V

7   2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)         WS-SUP720-3B       SAD092509K5

8   0 Supervisor-Other                       Unknown           Unknown

9   48 CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet WS-X6748-GE-TX     SAL09295N1N

10   48 CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet WS-X6748-GE-TX     SAL0926444T

11   48 CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet WS-X6748-GE-TX     SAL09285L8N

12   8 CEF720 8 port 10GE with DFC           WS-X6708-10GE     SAL1551YXER

13   24 CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP             WS-X6724-SFP       SAL09264AGN

6513_CS1#sh fabric utilization all

slot   channel     speed   Ingress %     Egress %

2         0       20G           0           0

4         0         8G           0           0

5         0         8G           0           0

7         0       20G           0           0

9         0       20G           0           0

9         1       20G           0           0

10         0       20G           0           0

10         1       20G           0           0

11         0       20G           0           0

11         1       20G           0           0

12         0       20G           0           0

12         1       20G           0           0

13         0       20G           0           0

6513_CS1#sh fabric switching-mode

Global switching mode is Truncated

dCEF mode is not enforced for system to operate

Fabric module is not required for system to operate

Modules are allowed to operate in bus mode

Truncated mode is allowed, due to presence of DFC, CEF720 module

Module Slot     Switching Mode

2                 Crossbar

3                     Bus

4                 Crossbar

5                 Crossbar

7                     Bus

9                 Crossbar

10               Crossbar

11               Crossbar

12                   dCEF

13               Crossbar

Appreciate your inputs!

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

1) Are there any performance issues with 6513 module core-switch  and i wanted to know i have a sup 720B in this core-switch

The 720 Gbps is the fabric (duplex) bandwidth capacity.

Yes there are many possible performance issues, especially as you're configured.

Sup720 only provides (in a 6513) 40 Gbps to slots 9-13, other slots are only 20 Gbps.

Non-CEF256 cards are either 32 Gbps (duplex) shared bus (6148) or 8 Gbps to the fabric (6548).

Classic bus cards (6148) can not directly communicate with CEF720 cards (67xx).  Data has to be relayed through the sup.

I recall (?) 65xx cards with both fabric and bus connections have a static option whether to transmit using their fabric or bus connection.  Default might be to use bus connection, in your chassis fabric connection likely better as most of your cards have fabric connections.

Any classic bus card in the chassis limits sup's packets-per-second performance.  Sup720 is rated 15 Mpps in non-Compact mode or 30 Mpps in Compact mode (your running in truncate mode).  Also 30 Mpps is documented for all packet sizes, so performance difference might be much, much more than 2x.

Older line card often have much more limited performance per port, i.e. ports groups share buffers or ASICs.

The Sup720 performance PPS performance is shared by the whole chassis unless you also have dCEF (DFC) cards.  (Your 6708 has a DFC, standard.)

Minimum size Ethernet packets requires 1.455 Mpps per 1 Gbps, so 15 Mpps is might max out with as little at 5 Gbps (duplex).

2) I guessall CEF 6748  module must have 40G spedd below  ,Please correct me if i am wrong?

They have that much bandwidth to the fabric (as also noted by Reza).  To take full advantage of it, you need to account for much else (see above).

PS:

Suggestions:

Resolve issue with 2nd sup - doesn't appear to be in correct standby mode. (Won't change performance but if active sup fails . . .)

Replace the classic bus card (6148) with a fabric card.  (I.e. get chassis to run in compact mode.)

When working with high density gig, avoid using all but 67xx line cards. (Note: Your 6524 is a non-issue, as it's only 24 FE ports with 8 Gbps fabric.)

Move 6724 card, if possible, to 20 Gbps slot.  (I.e. reserve your 40 Gbps slots for cards that require 40 Gbps.)

PPS:

For even more performance, as it appears all your CEF720 cards but the 6708 are CFCs, you can selectively install DFCs or you can upgrade your Sup.  Both the VS-S720 and Sup2T provide higher centralized PPS.  (Sup720s, I believe, are EOL.)

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

#1 In truncate mode, sup can provides up to 15 Mpps.  It's possible you might exceed the forwarding performance of the sup with enough busy gig ports.

#2 Truncate mode offers 15 Mpps, compact mode 30 Mpps; i.e. 2x performance.

#3 I don't know, although I've seen is on other sup cards.

#4 Would expect L3 forwarding as fast as L2 forwarding.  Was this test done with exactly the same two ports and two hosts?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, the maximum backplane speed for the 67xx series cards with sup-720 is 40 Gig per slot. (2 channels each 20Gig)

see link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 720 Gbps is the fabric (duplex) bandwidth capacity.

Yes there are many possible performance issues, especially as you're configured.

Sup720 only provides (in a 6513) 40 Gbps to slots 9-13, other slots are only 20 Gbps.

Non-CEF256 cards are either 32 Gbps (duplex) shared bus (6148) or 8 Gbps to the fabric (6548).

Classic bus cards (6148) can not directly communicate with CEF720 cards (67xx).  Data has to be relayed through the sup.

I recall (?) 65xx cards with both fabric and bus connections have a static option whether to transmit using their fabric or bus connection.  Default might be to use bus connection, in your chassis fabric connection likely better as most of your cards have fabric connections.

Any classic bus card in the chassis limits sup's packets-per-second performance.  Sup720 is rated 15 Mpps in non-Compact mode or 30 Mpps in Compact mode (your running in truncate mode).  Also 30 Mpps is documented for all packet sizes, so performance difference might be much, much more than 2x.

Older line card often have much more limited performance per port, i.e. ports groups share buffers or ASICs.

The Sup720 performance PPS performance is shared by the whole chassis unless you also have dCEF (DFC) cards.  (Your 6708 has a DFC, standard.)

Minimum size Ethernet packets requires 1.455 Mpps per 1 Gbps, so 15 Mpps is might max out with as little at 5 Gbps (duplex).

They have that much bandwidth to the fabric (as also noted by Reza).  To take full advantage of it, you need to account for much else (see above).

PS:

Suggestions:

Resolve issue with 2nd sup - doesn't appear to be in correct standby mode. (Won't change performance but if active sup fails . . .)

Replace the classic bus card (6148) with a fabric card.  (I.e. get chassis to run in compact mode.)

When working with high density gig, avoid using all but 67xx line cards. (Note: Your 6524 is a non-issue, as it's only 24 FE ports with 8 Gbps fabric.)

Move 6724 card, if possible, to 20 Gbps slot.  (I.e. reserve your 40 Gbps slots for cards that require 40 Gbps.)

PPS:

For even more performance, as it appears all your CEF720 cards but the 6708 are CFCs, you can selectively install DFCs or you can upgrade your Sup.  Both the VS-S720 and Sup2T provide higher centralized PPS.  (Sup720s, I believe, are EOL.)

Hi,

Appreciate your detailed explaination!

Can you please brief me what will be the benifit i get if run the switch in Compact  mode ? ( currently inTruncated mode).

Also are there any performance issues with sup720B or 6513 module as i am facing slowness in servers connected to

module 9 ( 40Gbps) ?

6513_CS1#sh fabric status

slot   channel     speed   module               fabric

status               status

2         0       20G       OK                   OK

4         0         8G       OK                   OK

5         0         8G       OK                   OK

7         0       20G       OK                   OK

9         0       20G       OK                   OK

9         1      20G       OK                   OK

10         0       20G       OK                   OK

10         1       20G       OK                   OK

11         0       20G       OK                   OK

11         1       20G       OK                  OK

12         0       20G       OK                   OK

12         1       20G       OK                   OK

13         0       20G       OK                   OK

Rgards,

Akber Mirza.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Can you please brief me what will be the benifit i get if run the switch in Compact  mode ? ( currently inTruncated mode).

2x (or more) sup forwarding performance.

Also are there any performance issues with sup720B or 6513 module as i am facing slowness in servers connected to 

module 9 ( 40Gbps) ?

It possible running in truncate mode and with only one dCEF enabled card, you're hitting sup's maximum forwarding capacity but there might be other causes.  You would need to define "slowness", why it seems restricted to just module 9 and what's the topology between end-hosts.

HEllo,

I would like to inform you that there are no issues with module 9  of 6513, I just took it as an example as i just

tested the throughput on hosts connected to that module.

Can you please explain your below comment as i coudnt understand

""

It possible running in truncate mode and with only one dCEF enabled  card, you're hitting sup's maximum forwarding capacity but there might  be other causes. """.

2) Can you further brief me what is the difference interms performance with switch running in Compact or Truncated mode in detail please?

Appreciate your comments.

6513_CS1#sh fabric switching-mode

Global switching mode is Truncated

dCEF mode is not enforced for system to operate

Fabric module is not required for system to operate

Modules are allowed to operate in bus mode

Truncated mode is allowed, due to presence of DFC, CEF720 module

Module Slot     Switching Mode

2                 Crossbar

3                     Bus

4                 Crossbar

5                 Crossbar

7                     Bus

9                 Crossbar

10               Crossbar

11               Crossbar

12                   dCEF

13               Crossbar

3) Can you tell why module 7 is showing BUS instead of dCEF ?

4) I am getting a throughput between intra vlan host  speed 1G using jperf  as 0.75 Gb/sec

where as intravlanhost speed 1G as 0.40Gb/sec for the samehosts. 

Is this a normal behaviour ?

Regards,

Akber Mirza.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

#1 In truncate mode, sup can provides up to 15 Mpps.  It's possible you might exceed the forwarding performance of the sup with enough busy gig ports.

#2 Truncate mode offers 15 Mpps, compact mode 30 Mpps; i.e. 2x performance.

#3 I don't know, although I've seen is on other sup cards.

#4 Would expect L3 forwarding as fast as L2 forwarding.  Was this test done with exactly the same two ports and two hosts?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card