cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6513, why should I upgrade to Native mode.

clogwood
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6513, SUP2, MSFC2, PFC2.

Running hybrid CATOS/IOS. No problems.

Other than supporting other cards in the future(SUP32, 10GB) is there a compelling reason to upgrade to native IOS? I have a small window of opportunity to do the upgrade in this manufacturing facility (24/7).

Regards,

Claude

10 Replies 10

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

I would believe that it would be more manageable for one OS? I am curious, is there a reason that you are running hybrid/native mode? Did you have a newer module that was not supported by Cat OS or IOS?

The 6513 came as hybrid when purchased in 2002. Works fine. Two CATOS/IOS upgrades since that time.

Claude

dahuja
Level 1
Level 1

If you are not planning to go in for a futuristic requirements and your network is running flawlessly, then the upgrade is not suggested.

But for the future needs we are synchronizing it to one platform that is IOS.

All Sup 720 are now shipped with native IOS by default.

Regards

Deepak Ahuja

Cisco Tac

In theory, I could also take my standby SUP2 module out, place it into another 65xx chassis, upgrade to native (IOS), modify the configurations for interfaces, routing etc., then re-install it as the primary SUP2 in my 6513.

It sounds like if I go to new SUP cards (SUP720 or SUP32), I would still be doing some bit of upgrades with interruptions.

I think I'm talking myself out of doing an upgrade to native IOS until I have the hardware need (new SUP's).

Claude

Claude,

The reason I asked is that I have a 6509 with the same sup module as yours and a 6513 with an msfc2 sup engine. I am building the 6509 (out of production)to make a 10/100/1000 ws-x6148a-tx function. the x6348 works fine. the recommendation was to run hybrid mode a year ago. any recommendations?

gmvburg23,

I'm comfortable with the hybrid mode. The CATOS is handling 200+ servers and 35 uplinks from edge switches. The IOS is handling VLAN routing and one off site connection. Upon reading these various responses, I've convinced myself to not upgrade to native IOS and just wait until it comes installed on a future new SUP (sup720 or sup32).

The thought of installing my standby SUP to another 65xx chassis (rent/borrow) is appealing in that it allows me to upgrade and configure offline. Then I can install the native (upgraded) sup or fall back on the hybrid (original) sup.

Claude

have you installed the hybrid mode from start to finish? if so, what is your recommendation? it appears that your sup engine.

What my intentions are are to run all of the servers through the new 10/100/1000 ethernet module. Cisco usually will allow you to borrow a 6500 chassis. This is what I am doing so that I can configure for 10/100/1000 and move into production. The 6513 will be rebuilt to duplicate 6509.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless there is problem and you are not familiar with catos on the layer 2 side I would leave it alone . I always liked catos , found it easier to configure most layer 2 functions than IOS .

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

Claude,

I am currently building a 6509 with the same Sup Engine that you have on your 6513. Is it possible for you to send me a document listing which software updates that you are using? It appears that I may have to run hybrid mode too and any help on this would be helpful. I will eventually duplicate this configuration to the production 6513 that has ws-x6k-s2u-msfc2 with SFM2, GBIC (2 16-port) and one 10/100 + one 10/100/1000 ethernet module. If you require more information please do not hesitate to contact me via email g_mvburg@yahoo.com.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco