Views
Helpful
Replies

6800x VSS Recovery Mode

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have set up 2 x 6800x switches as a VSS pair. I also have a separate link for Dual Active Detection. When I break the VSL, One of the switches go into recovery mode, when I restore the VSL, the switch stays in recovery mode unless I manually reload it. 

Should this switch not reload automatically once the VSL is restored. I am using IOS c6880x-adventerprisek9-mz.SPA.151-2.SY4a.bin

I have previously setup VSS on a pair of 4500x switches and I know the switches in recovery mode reloaded itself once the VSL is restored.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 6800 should work the same way as the 4500x series.

You may want to run a few more tests and if the behavior is the same contact Cisco TAC.

Here is the explanation from the VSS document

An active chassis that detects a dual-active condition shuts down all of its non-VSL interfaces (except interfaces configured to be excluded from shutdown) to remove itself from the network, and waits in recovery mode until the VSL links have recovered. You might need to physically repair the VSL failure. When the shut down chassis detects that VSL is operational again, the chassis reloads and returns to service as the standby chassis.

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-1SY/config_guide/sup2T/15_1_sy_swcg_2T/virtual_switching_systems.html

also, can you provide the output of

sh switch virtual dual-active fast-hello

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

How are you breaking the VSL links?

Are you pulling out the cables or shutting down the Portchannel interface?

Thanks,

Hi Reza

I am pulling out the cables. 

Hi,

Ok, if you pull out the cables and put them back in, the switch in recovery mode should reboot on its own.  Now, if you shut the Portchannel interface and bring it back up, after no shutting the interface and saving the config, you have to reboot the switch in recovery mode manually. The switch will than come back up as stand-by.

We tested this on the 4500x series but don't have any 6800 to test with.

HTH

Yes I setup some 4500x switches a few weeks ago and the recovery switch reloaded itself as soon as the links were restored. Im not getting the same result with some 6800x switches, I am having to reload the recovery switch manually

The 6800 should work the same way as the 4500x series.

You may want to run a few more tests and if the behavior is the same contact Cisco TAC.

Here is the explanation from the VSS document

An active chassis that detects a dual-active condition shuts down all of its non-VSL interfaces (except interfaces configured to be excluded from shutdown) to remove itself from the network, and waits in recovery mode until the VSL links have recovered. You might need to physically repair the VSL failure. When the shut down chassis detects that VSL is operational again, the chassis reloads and returns to service as the standby chassis.

Link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-1SY/config_guide/sup2T/15_1_sy_swcg_2T/virtual_switching_systems.html

also, can you provide the output of

sh switch virtual dual-active fast-hello

HTH

Thanks Reza I had a read through that document so I may just contact Cisco TAC and see what they say. Im not near the switch until next week now so may also try a few other things.

Thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: