Views
Helpful
Replies

6807 VSS with Quad SUP6T

t.piening
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends

Do I Need 4 times the SUP Software license, when I create a VSS with Quad Supervisors? For Example 4x Advanced Enterprise Services License?

Thank you for an Answer and Best Regards Thomas Piening

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Im struggling to find the doc on this but from memory same as 4500 vss quad the licenses is not bound to the sup but to the chassis itself , but once its tied to the chassis it cant be moved to another unit but there's not a requirement to buy licenses for all sups but need to find the exact do to be sure where its states it  

Note:    Licenses are tied to the chassis but are stored locally on a Supervisor. Hence when ordering a spare Supervisor, a PAK is shipped with the Supervisor. Once the Supervisor is in the appropriate chassis, user can perform the above procedure for installing and activating the license.

Also on redundant Supervisor systems, the license is synchronized from the active to the standby so users ordering a redundant system have to order only one IPBase or Enterprise Services license to be installed and activated on redundant Supervisor systems.

Hi Mark, Thank You for the Right answer. But Now, the Question is, can I order the Spare SUP with IP-Services even the existing Chassis has the Advanced Enterprise Software?

I believe the license applies to the chassis.  If you order a spare Sup, you can order it with the minimum (i.e. no extra cost license).

However, it can be a bit tricky getting the license active on a replacement, as how that is done depends on how your current chassis is configured.

For example, if you only had a single sup, and it failed, after putting in a replacement, you would need to upgrade its license.  However, if you had dual sups, and one failed, when you replace it, it should sync to the running sup and so you don't need to explicitly update the license.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sup6T Quad & VSS???? 

Wow, you're LOADED!

Shall I make a Description for you?

2 Chassis with 4 SUP6T = a 6807 VSS ( is a VSS with Quad SUP). How many Software licenses is the Question that Mark anwered correctly!

Thank you for your Answer.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card