cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6807-XL VSS Quad-SUP IOS upgrade

S891
Level 2
Level 2

I am planning to do IOS upgrade on our pair of 6807-XL that are setup in VSS with four SUP 6T cards. 

The current code is 154-1.SY. I am looking for best and easiset approach. 

I would prefer to do non-disruptive upgrade. I have read few comments that ISSU (eFSU) is disruptive and sometime may cause issues. 

Looking for some recommendations. 

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use ISSU (eFSU) if you meet all the conditions.  Even if you meet all the conditions, there is always a chance that something can go wrong and can cause downtime. I like to do it the old fashioned way by loading the new IOS to all sups, set the boot variable, save the config and reboot the chassis. Of course to do this you need a maintenance window, but regardless of what option you use maintenance window is needed. BTW, I have not used Sup-6T yet, only 2T.

HTH  

Hi Reza,

Thanks for the response. I will probably do the old fashioned method. 

1. Load new IOS to all 4 SUP cards

2. Change Boot statement (did you mean "boot system.." command ?)

3. Reboot the VSS chassiss' (does the entire VSS (both switches) boot at same time with one reload command?)

Hi,

On the 6800 series with Sup-2T "redun reload shelf" will reload both chassis.It should be the same for 6T.  And yes, I meant change boot system command, save and reload.

HTH

Network Hobo has a great how to .

Did you do it this way?

https://networkhobo.com/2014/12/05/cisco-6807-vss-issu-upgrade/

Thanks!!!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco