Views
Helpful
Replies

6880-X-LE / What is C6880-X-NEBS-PAK ? / Air Dam / NEBS compliant

jhutter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We ordered a 6880 switch along with the C6880-X-NEBS-PAK (Mandatory Air Dam set for 6880-X to meet thermal requirement) option.  What is the difference in hardware if you do not choose this??  

The reason I am asking is during configuration we are getting this warning on boot up:

*Jun 24 16:15:57.395: %DIAG-6-DIAG_OK: Module 5: Passed Online Diagnostics
*Jun 24 16:15:57.979: %C6KENV-4-LOWER_SLOT_EMPTY: The lower adjacent slot of module 5 might be empty. Airdam must be installed in that slot to be NEBS compliant
*Jun 24 16:16:04.939: %OIR-6-SP_INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 5, interfaces are now online

So I am not sure what I would even be looking for?  Is it a change on the empty module slots?

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is a picture of the C6880-X-NEBS-PAK - kind of - 6880-X-NEBS-PAK is a high level product code and does not represent a physical part.. 
It basically instructs Cisco manufacturing to fill all empty slots in the 6880 with C6880-X-CVR-E=.

Anyway I hope the picture helps.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

This is to meet the thermal requirement of the system.

I am thinking if you do not have these air dams installed on you empty slots, the system may heat up.

These air dams may be holding more air inside the system to cool it down, where if you have empty slots air may pass out through them resulting in lesser cooling. So if you have an empty slot please cover it . I guess the C6880-X-NEBS-PAK contains a set of slot covers which you can use to cover the empty slots.

I hope this helps and please rate useful posts

Thanks,

Madhu

Hi thanks for your response.  

It is a separate part in addition to the slot covers though.  I do have the slot covers on and adjusted them. 

These were ordered (4 total)

C6880-X-CVR-E Catalyst 6880-X port card enhanced slot cover

Does anyone else know?...

Did you get an answer on this as I have just fired up two 6880X's and getting that warning - amber light on the module and the warning about airdam

The lower adjacent slot of module 5 might be empty. Airdam must be installed in that slot to be NEBS compliant

No one can give me a clear answer of what to look for so no I never received a definite response.  

The only thing I can tell you is that my blank slot covers have long metal attachments on them that run the depth of the switch so I assume that is the "air dam" and there is just no way for the software to know if it is present or not, thus the warning.

I never bothered to call TAC either due to time...

Ok thanks for the reply - my slot covers run the full length of the switch. So you just run your switch with the orange status light on all the time?

I do not have orange status lights.  Sounds like you may have a separate issue.

Hmmm ok thanks, the only issues reported in the log are the Airdam ones and it is occuring on both switches, I have 4 more so will see what they all do

Here is a picture of the C6880-X-NEBS-PAK - kind of - 6880-X-NEBS-PAK is a high level product code and does not represent a physical part.. 
It basically instructs Cisco manufacturing to fill all empty slots in the 6880 with C6880-X-CVR-E=.

Anyway I hope the picture helps.

Thanks for the confirmation. 

blandekic
Level 1
Level 1

The second message, C6KENV-4-LOWER_SLOT_EMPTY is a severity 4 message, a warning, and generally 0-4 are important and shouldn't be ignored.  If the Airdam is installed properly this message shouldn't appear.  Maybe it came loose during shipping?  Maybe they neglected to install it?  How does your switch visually differ from one without an airdam installed?  If you ordered directly from a Cisco authorized reseller it would save you time to call them directly and ask, they should know better than random people on this forum.  :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card