Views
Helpful
Replies

6880X VSS Port-Channel

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I was trying to configure two 6800x switches as a VSS pair, Ive done this on 4500x switches before and worked a treat. when setting up a L2 port-channel, for some reason it puts the ports into routed mode and does not allow me to build a L2 port-channel.

So I add the following config for the port-channel

Interface port-channel 10
Description VSL_Link
switchport
switch virtual link 2
no shut

Interface range Tengig 1/1 – 1/2
Description VSL_Link
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 10 mode on

Now as soon as I type the channel-group 10 mode on, it gives an error

"Command rejected  (Port-channel10): Either port is L2 and port-channel is L3, or vice-versa"

I managed to create a L2 port-channel on a 4500x, will the 6800x only allow me to create a l3 port channel. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Contrary to Cat4500 when setting up VSS with Cat6880-x VSL is configured as L3 ie. "no switchport" (both port-channel and interface levels).

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

Glad to hear you got it working. Usually the best way to build a Port-channel is to just add the command to the physical interfaces (this will create the po) and than do a "no sh"under the Port-channle interface, but I have seen some inconsistency when you apply the same rule  for VSL.

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I think, the issue is that currently your port-channel is configured as switchport (access) and the physical ports as trunk port.  So make the port-channel trunk and than add channel-group 10 mode on

and test again.

HTH

Hi 

I tried this config on the 4500x and it worked, now I have also added the switchport mode trunk command to both the port-channel and interface and still getting the same error. 

When I do sh int status, the ports are showing as routed

I cleared the config and first set both interface as trunks, then when I do the channel-group 10 mode on command, it accepts the command an automatically creates the port-channel, but the interfaces show as routed.

This is my first time using a 6880x, when i logged into it, the default hostname is set to Router. I was expecting it to be named Switch, not that the hostname affects the config but makes me wonder, is the config different for the 6880x as opposed to other L3 switches

Hi,

Can you post the output of

sh interfaces port-channel 10 switchport

sh interfaces te1/1 switchport

sh interfaces te1/2 switchport

Hi Thanks for the responses

I managed to get it working this morning. The difference compared to the 4500x VSS setup is we cannot set the ports or port-channel to trunk.

Also it keeps coming up with the error if I configure the port-channel first and then add the interface to the port-channel, instead you have to configure the interfaces first and add the channel-group 10 mode on command, it will automatically create the port-channel and then the vsl config can be added to that port-channel. 

Hi Thanks for the responses

I managed to get it working this morning. The difference compared to the 4500x VSS setup is we cannot set the ports or port-channel to trunk.

Also it keeps coming up with the error if I configure the port-channel first and then add the interface to the port-channel, instead you have to configure the interfaces first and add the channel-group 10 mode on command, it will automatically create the port-channel and then the vsl config can be added to that port-channel. 

Glad to hear you got it working. Usually the best way to build a Port-channel is to just add the command to the physical interfaces (this will create the po) and than do a "no sh"under the Port-channle interface, but I have seen some inconsistency when you apply the same rule  for VSL.

HTH

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Contrary to Cat4500 when setting up VSS with Cat6880-x VSL is configured as L3 ie. "no switchport" (both port-channel and interface levels).

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card