cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6LE module 1 poweronselftestfail

patrick.dice
Level 1
Level 1

I have about 12 - 4500e with Sup6-le all reporting a POWERONSELFTESTFAIL on module 1.  These are running cat4500e-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SG1.bin code and run fine until it gets reloaded or power cycled. 

Im dont currently carry maint on these but was wondering if there was a recall or fault discovered on the 6le that might cover the serial number range or device as this would be a large number of 6 le's to fail at once with similar error.  I can get these changed out under limited lifetime warranty but that will take some time for 12 units.  any thoughts??

3 Replies 3

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Have a look at this link:-
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/catalyst4500e/installation/guide/Eseries/05trblsh.html

MANY MORE
C4K_SUPERVISOR-7-SEEPROMWRITEFAILED
C4K_SWITCHMANAGER-3-SSOACTIVEPORTACKTIMEOUT
C4K_SYSMAN-2-POWERONSELFTESTFAIL

These system messages indicate a problem with the supervisor engine. Some problems will prevent a console connection and will not allow you to use messages in diagnosing a problem. If you are unable to establish a terminal connection and the STATUS LED is red, contact Cisco TAC immediately to order a replacement.

Problems with redundant supervisor systems are often due to mismatched active and standby supervisor engines. Redundancy requires that both supervisor engines be the same model, have the same amount of SDRAM memory and running the same Cisco IOS release. If one supervisor has a NetFlow service card, the other must as well.

Some problems with supervisor engines are due to backplane connections that are not fully seated. If removing and reinserting the supervisor engine and then restarting the switch does not solve the problem, you may need to call Cisco TAC and replace the supervisor engine.

Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

patrick.dice
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Alex.  I appreciate the feedback.  I have been through this doc and attempted the suggested solutions on my 4500's.  As indicated I am hesitant to try resetting sup's on some of these devices without having a spare on hand.  The Sup we did try to reseat just flat out failed when we returned it to the chassis. 

I can get these replaced one at a time under the limited lifetime warranty but that will take some time......oh well price for not carrying the individual maint I guess.....thanks again.

Patrick,

You maybe able to make a deal with Cisco since you have 12 of these switches.  Asked your account manager about trad in programs and see if you can pay the difference and upgrade your 6LE Sups with 8e and put all your devices back under maintenance contract.  I know you will get their attention, if you mention you are talking to Juniper about their products :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card