Views
Helpful
Replies

8 ports to 1 port. Only one direction.

Toug31
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to aggregate traffic received from 8 ports to be forwarded to 1 port. The traffic from each port is not to be forwarded to the others port.

With all ports to a vlan, the problem is that each port forward to all other ports (we use L2 switching only, no arp table). No IP routing. I want switching parameters to be with port reception.

I want the traffic to only go in one direction.

Thanks.8port_to_1_cisco.png

5 Replies 5

I see two solutions here:

1. Configure Private VLAN Edge ("switchport protected") on the eight ports. Now they are not allowed to communicate to any other protected port but can communicate to unprotected ports.
  2. Configure IP Access-Lists on the eight ports to only allow traffic to the IP or IP-range behind the one port.

Hi, Thanks, I was thinking about using the "Protected port" feature. But it doesn't forbid the traffic from the one port to the 8 ports. The one port device will not have IP address. I'm using L2 traffic. The device will be a Windows computer with Wirehsark. Maybe I could set 2 rules with mac address-table to forward the @mac of the device and the @mac broadcast to an used port

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As already mentioned by Karsten, a possible solution would be to use a PVLAN, such that the eight ingress ports can only communicate to one other port. I.e. the eight ingress ports couldn't exchange frames. The one "common" port could also send traffic to any of the eight ingress ports, but if you consider that an issue, maybe such traffic could be blocked with an ACL or VACL blocking all ingress traffic on that port.

Do you know a mean with ACL or VACL to discard frames received from one interface?

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card