cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

801.X Failed authentication

HAT
Level 1
Level 1

I m working on deploying a wired  SDA solution that requires 802.1x authentication . I have successfully tested on the POC environment ( 1 Fusion Router, 1 x Border , 1 x Edge ) .

I m now deploying stacks of 9300 switches on  production switches ( 2 Fusion , 2 x Border , Multiple  Edges ) with "similar" switch config to the POC  devices only  to find out that the desktops and laptops endpoints devices are failing to authenticate .  I m using certificate authentication with EAP-TLS . Not suspecting any certificate or supplicant misconfiguration as  the endpoints  are working fine on the POC . 

MTU settings are the same across both POC and PROD

What is it that I m missing on the switch config that could explain such behavior ?

Any help will be much appreciated 

Please find below log from ISE   

Not sure on how to verify some of the options proposed in the Resolution box 

Event5411 Supplicant stopped responding to ISE
Failure Reason12935 Supplicant stopped responding to ISE during EAP-TLS certificate exchange
ResolutionVerify that supplicant is configured properly to conduct a full EAP conversation with ISE. Verify that NAS is configured properly to transfer EAP messages to/from supplicant. Verify that supplicant or NAS does not have a short timeout for EAP conversation. Check the network that connects the Network Access Server to ISE. Verify that ISE local server certificate is trusted on supplicant. Verify that supplicant has a properly configured user/machine certificate.
Root causeSupplicant stopped responding to ISE during EAP-TLS certificate exchange
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you have switch spare for testing - Load IOS XE - Version17.03.01.0.351  - Install in production and test it.

Looks for me Bug, not sure until we do this test. 17.3.4 is suggested code i guess.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am sure you clarifed that on the path all MTU setup as per SD-Access requirement ?

what is the version of Code Cat 9300 PoC and Prod ?

what kind of Certificate, is this Locally signed ? is this wild card ?

BB

Hi BB

Thanks for the feedback . Yes the MTU setup is the default as per the SD-Access requirement .

system mtu 9100

interface Loopback0
945 | description Fabric Node Router ID
946 | ip address XX.XXX.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.255
947 | ip router isis
948 | clns mtu 1400

I m using the below versions

POC : Version17.03.01.0.351 

PROD : Version17.03.03.0.4762

We are using self signed certificate ( issued by the company) 

It s interesting because the phones I have tested work on both PROD and POC , they are not using certificates though .

However the Desktops and laptops only authenticate on the POC 

Some logs are displaying the below 

Event5440 Endpoint abandoned EAP session and started new
Failure Reason5440 Endpoint abandoned EAP session and started new
ResolutionVerify known NAD or supplicant issues and published bugs. Verify NAD and supplicant configuration.
Root causeEndpoint started new authentication while previous is still in progress. Most probable that supplicant on that endpoint stopped conducting the previous authentication and started the new one. Closing the previous authentication.

Looking forward to hearing from you 

Thanks 

If you have switch spare for testing - Load IOS XE - Version17.03.01.0.351  - Install in production and test it.

Looks for me Bug, not sure until we do this test. 17.3.4 is suggested code i guess.

BB

Good Morning BB, 

I will explore that option. Can I precise that  the production switch is a stack ( x 3 switches ) as opposed to the POC that s standalone .

Thanks 

Hi BB,

I did try what you suggested and it worked . So there must  a bug with the version currently installed on the Prod switches .

Thanks for your help 

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check ISE version and or correlate with :

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvr70581

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi marce1000

Thanks for the link . Using version 2.7.0.356 . Looking like one the recommended fix releases 

It s interesting because the phones I have tested work on both PROD and POC , they are not using certificates though .

However the Desktops and laptops only authenticate on the POC 

Some logs for the same device are displaying the below 

Event5440 Endpoint abandoned EAP session and started new
Failure Reason5440 Endpoint abandoned EAP session and started new
ResolutionVerify known NAD or supplicant issues and published bugs. Verify NAD and supplicant configuration.
Root causeEndpoint started new authentication while previous is still in progress. Most probable that supplicant on that endpoint stopped conducting the previous authentication and started the new one. Closing the previous authentication.

Hello,

can you post the switch configs ?

Hi Georg,

It turns out this was version related bug.

Thanks for your input 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card