cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1Q vlan for ip subnet, can't ping gateway.

Steven Wiig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

We have a cisco router provided and managed by our ISP. Recently we were allocated an additional /23 subnet, tagged to a vlan on a subinterface on the LAN side of the router. It is assigned an IP address. I assume that this enables it for inter vlan routing. I've double checked, and from my test computer all the way to the router, 802.1Q trunking is set, and the vlan in question is allowed, but I can not ping the gateway. 

Any ideas where I might look? There is a firewall sitting between the router and core router, and i've set it to allow the vlan to pass through. It's a virtual wire deployment. 

5 Replies 5

schaef350
Level 1
Level 1

Could you include a topology drawling with configs? 

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts

Sure, I'll try to get something posted this week. 

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

No, it doesn't.

What you are looking for is ROAS (Router On A Stick).

Basically, you need to configure sub interfaces on the router for each VLAN and you then assign the addresses to these.

Martin

My apologies for the lack of details. It is a configured sub interface assigned for the vlan. It appears the problem when I was testing was that the native vlan for the port used for the test computer was set to the old default vlan, and needed to be changed over to the new vlan. Now traffic flows as it should to the default gateway for the vlan. No ip helper address so no DHCP to configure. The subnet will be used for statically assigned addresses. 

Rookie mistake. 

Great, sounds like your all set?  Let us know if you have any other questions.

- Be sure to rate all helpful posts
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card