cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x feature and local AAA database on a cisco 880 router setup

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to setup 802.1x wired with a windows 10 client and a cisco router 880.

I have a question. Can we use local AAA database a.k.a local username and password of the cisco router, for example: username cisco secret cisco as 802.1x authentication database using windows like windows 10?

In windows 10, I already setup / started the wired auto config in services.msc and then configured PEAP as the authentication method and uncheck the verify server certificate but still unable to authenticate the windows 10 client to the network.

I have progress windows 10 client is displays username and password dialog box or window but after I entered username: cisco and password: cisco and then I clicked Ok button, nothing happened. 

I am a newbie please bear with me. My cisco router configuration was this:

aaa new-model

!

!

aaa authentication dot1x default local

!

username admin privilege 15 secret 5 $1$oUz7$tCrWhc.FiF4sd14gPfs4x.

!

interface FastEthernet3
no ip address
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x port-control auto
!

2 Replies 2

Borgenstrand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

in the config you shared, the username is Admin but in the example you used cisco/cisco.

In global config mode, can you run command dot1x system-auth-control and then try to connect again?

Thanks for your reply. Yes the actual username is admin and secret admin. In my running or startup configuration already applied command dot1x system-auth-control. So full config is like this:

aaa new-model

!

!

aaa authentication dot1x default local

!

dot1x system-auth-control

!

username admin privilege 15 secret 5 $1$oUz7$tCrWhc.FiF4sd14gPfs4x.

!

interface FastEthernet3
no ip address
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x port-control auto
!

But in windows still just showing like this:

In windows 10 there are a lot of options, what should I choose?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco