cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 and 2 dhcp assigned ip address on wan port

patirvine
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at upgrading my cluster of home routers to a single 871W. The only thing stopping me is weather or not I can assign two ips from my isp to the wan port. They are static ips but are assigned through dhcp.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

jipurser
Level 1
Level 1

Is this going to two different ISP's?

No both ips are served by the same isp. I just don't know if the 871w supports virtual enternet devices. like in linux you can have eth0 and eth0:1 with both set for dhcp.

Thanks for the help

Hi,

Just wondering what would be the use of the two IP's. If the ISP is providing you with two IP address, over ethernet/wireless interface, perhaps you could use a secondary address on the vlan1 interface.

Thanks

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

the two ips are mapped through nat to two different physical servers. They are provided by my dsl isp through dhcp. As for using a secondary address on the vlan1 interface....sounds good. I don't know. I haven't purchased the router yet. And don't want to until I am sure that this can be done.

thanks!

Pat.

Hi Pat,

This can be done several ways. Can you give more information on your proposed setup.

what type of broadband are you getting?

Is it a flavour of DSL (over your phone line) or is it a local ISP providing a wireless solution to your premises?

If you are getting broadband over DSL then perhaps you should be thinking about the Cisco 877W instead as this unit has a built in DSL interface removing the need for an external DSL modem. (a little bit more difficutl to configure).

in the above case i have found that, where more than one IP is assigned to an organisation, you only need to configure your dsl interface with one of the two static IP address. You may then configure your own NAT rules on the Cisco box for the second ip address. i.e. external IP + port -> internal IP + port. Again, this is only supposition with knowing the need for two IP addresses.

If it is a wireless solution, then i

suspect the easyist thing to do is configure a secondary IP address. Only thing is that you must configure an actual IP address on the secondary. It cannot be DHCP.

HTH

Cheers

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

I am on DSL. I have 2 static IPs given to me over DHCP, each assigned to a specific MAC Address. I use both ip's right now to allow for easy upscale of the system to remote redundant systems. I need to know if it is possible to have the WAN interface assigned two different IP's that are served from a DHCP server and are linked to two different MAC address. Unfortunately this is the only way I can receive the IPs from the ISP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card