cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 WAN port

Cisco1619
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 871 unit and I can't figure out how to get access to the FA4 port. I have given it an IP address but I still can't get a response from my ping to the IP address I gave it. My IP address for FA4 is 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252. My VLAN 10 ip is 10.203.10.2 255.255.255.0. I can't get an IP route to this FA4 ip address. Can anyone help me figure out how to get this port active?

Thank you for any help you can give.                  

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Kindly post 'show run' and hide sensitive info. Are you pinging from inside LAN and from which device?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying. Are you trying this directly from the router? If so what is the source of your ping. Also if you are trying from a PC make sure it has an IP in the subnet of VLAN 10 and the default gateway is your VLAN 10 IP.

I am also a little confused why you have the statement "IP default-gateway" as the IP address of your router. Usually this is the address of the next hop router. Also on a router or layer 3 device it is typically set with the "IP route" command instead.

Hi Shannon,

configuration of your router is little bit chaotic for me.

1) your default gateway on router is same as your FA4 interface which doe not make sense

2) your VLAN10 interface on router has IP 10.1.1.9/29  and you told that VLAN 10 on switch has 10.203.10.2

If you want to make VLAN routing with this router so you will have to configure vlan subinterfaces on router and trunk on switch on port which hs uplink to router.

Best Regards,

Jan

hi shannon,

i noticed your LAN subnet was changed compared to your orig post. could you make a brief description or provide a network diagram of your setup?

kindly note that FE4 is your WAN port and FE0--3 are your layer 2 only LAN ports.

as for the question for your LAN default gateway, you should set your clients to:

host IP: 10.1.1.10 - 10.1.1.14

subnet mask: 255.255.255.248

default gateway: 10.1.1.9

Hello

The port you have the ip addrees on is a routed port with an ip range different to to the vlan

Ip routing enabled

What exactly are ypu trying to acheive?

Is the pc directly connected ? If so which port?

Also a router generally equires an ip route not default gateway

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

8 Replies 8

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Kindly post 'show run' and hide sensitive info. Are you pinging from inside LAN and from which device?

Here is my Show Run. I am trying to ping my fa4 interface from this router, but I can't get it to work. If my VLAN IP and fa4 IP is on different subnets, then what would be my default gateway for that?

hostname Router_1
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$ev6X$HjtwiFNNxEcL0vkOUxdrA.
!
no aaa new-model
!
!
dot11 syslog
ip cef
!
!
ip auth-proxy max-nodata-conns 3
ip admission max-nodata-conns 3
no ip domain lookup
!
!
!
!
!
archive
log config
  hidekeys
!
!
!
!
!
interface Loopback10
ip address 10.203.10.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Loopback30
ip address 10.203.30.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Loopback50
ip address 10.203.50.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Loopback70
ip address 10.203.70.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Loopback90
ip address 10.203.90.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0
switchport access vlan 10
!
interface FastEthernet1
!
interface FastEthernet2
!
interface FastEthernet3
!
interface FastEthernet4
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Vlan1
no ip address
!
interface Vlan10
ip address 10.1.1.9 255.255.255.248
!
ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1
ip forward-protocol nd
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
privilege level 15
logging synchronous
no modem enable
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
privilege level 15
password 7 110A1016141D
logging synchronous
login
!
scheduler max-task-time 5000
end

Router_1#

Thanks again for the help!

Elton Babcock
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying. Are you trying this directly from the router? If so what is the source of your ping. Also if you are trying from a PC make sure it has an IP in the subnet of VLAN 10 and the default gateway is your VLAN 10 IP.

I am also a little confused why you have the statement "IP default-gateway" as the IP address of your router. Usually this is the address of the next hop router. Also on a router or layer 3 device it is typically set with the "IP route" command instead.

This is from my personal lab and I am trying to set this up for my CCNA Wireless studies, but I was unable to get to my WLC. I am used to using 3750s, 3560s, and 4507s so this is a totally new type of switch to me. I thought the FA4 port would be the default gateway since it is the L3 port, but I can't ping it from either the PC with a vlan10 IP or from the switch. I am a little bit baffled by how the 4 switchports and 1 L3 port work together on the same switch since they can't be in the same subnet.

Hi Shannon,

configuration of your router is little bit chaotic for me.

1) your default gateway on router is same as your FA4 interface which doe not make sense

2) your VLAN10 interface on router has IP 10.1.1.9/29  and you told that VLAN 10 on switch has 10.203.10.2

If you want to make VLAN routing with this router so you will have to configure vlan subinterfaces on router and trunk on switch on port which hs uplink to router.

Best Regards,

Jan

hi shannon,

i noticed your LAN subnet was changed compared to your orig post. could you make a brief description or provide a network diagram of your setup?

kindly note that FE4 is your WAN port and FE0--3 are your layer 2 only LAN ports.

as for the question for your LAN default gateway, you should set your clients to:

host IP: 10.1.1.10 - 10.1.1.14

subnet mask: 255.255.255.248

default gateway: 10.1.1.9

Hello

The port you have the ip addrees on is a routed port with an ip range different to to the vlan

Ip routing enabled

What exactly are ypu trying to acheive?

Is the pc directly connected ? If so which port?

Also a router generally equires an ip route not default gateway

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you all for your help. I was finally able to piece this together and figure out what I was doing wrong. It is now connected to my other switch successfully!!!

Thank you all!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card