cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 will not enter rommon after flash upgrade.

asucrews2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  i tired to upgrade the flash memory on my 871.  i have tired to send single break and removing the flash card to drop the 871 to rommon.  but no luck, all i get is the below error.  i have try restart button on the back and get the same results.  Any idea on how to get the router into rommon mode so i can place the IOS  on the flash?

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI4, RELEASE SOFTWARE

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C870 series (Board ID: 3-148) platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED

No bootable image file: flash:/

Unable to open boot file

5 Replies 5

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi jeremy crews

You post your question in a wrong forum, post in " Network Infrastructure > WAN, Routing and Switching". You can move your post using the actions panel on the right.

Greetings

Johnnatan Rodríguez Miranda

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

871?

Look at the back.  In the middle of the back panel and on the bottom is a small "Reset" button.

Power down the router, push-and-hold-down the reset button, power up the router and count to 15. 

Hello leolaohoo,

Thanks for the reply, and it not reset back to defaults. it is still looping the below message

PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED

No bootable image file: flash:/

Unable to open boot file

Ok, you/ve got two problems.

Firstly, there's either NO IOS or the IOS is corrupt.  Finally, some smart aleck decides to disable password recovery.  We'll tackle them one at a time.

For the IOS, follow this link:  Disaster Recovery with TFTP Download

Okay, well, I cannot get it to go in to rommon to use the disaster recovery.  All it seem to do is loop make and model info then the no bootable flash message.  any idea what happening or what I may be doing wrong. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco