cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

891 IS Router - Hardly any HTTP traffic accessible, NAT?

benhutchings
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have an 891 router setup to support 4 VLANS with 4 DHCP pools. I'm having great difficulty getting full internet access on the 3 VLANS that users will be connected to.

I have attached the full config.

Currently, anyone connected to VLAN 2 to 4 can ping external IPs, resolve names using DIG/NSLOOKUP. But when they try to browse to a website, it times out. After days and days of testing and rewriting configs and even resorting to using the CCP program, it seems that often, sites that are served over HTTPS are accessible. Very very few sites are viewable over HTTP.

Thoughts:

- Is the FW policy inspecing HTTP traffic incorrectly?

- Is the NAT setup correct? I have tried various methods all with the same result.

- Can I debug something that might help? If so can you tell me what to debug.

Any thoughts, or possible sollutions will be welcomed, even if it's a bit crazy. I've utterly exhausted my knowledge of Cisco now and need help

Thanks a lot,

Ben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ben,

Under dialer0 interface can you add

ip tcp adjust-mss 1412

and test again?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ben,

Under dialer0 interface can you add

ip tcp adjust-mss 1412

and test again?

Mate! That seems to have worked perfectly!!

Can you please quickly explain what that does and is it ok to use it in there with the MTU setting?

Thanks so much,

Ben

Ben,

Take a look at the usage guideline with explanation in this link:

When a host (usually a PC) initiates a TCP session with a server, it negotiates the IP segment size by using the MSS option field in the TCP SYN packet. The value of the MSS field is determined by the maximum transmission unit (MTU) configuration on the host. The default MSS value for a PC is 1500 bytes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t4/feature/guide/ft_admss.html

HTH

Reza

Reza,

It means configured MTU in the infrastructure is ignored while negotiating MSS between two hosts?

Ok thanks, perfect!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card