cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

891W ISR: Does SSH corrupt passwords?

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

Does SSH have some kind of issue with using passwords with special characters or something?  I am working with an 891W.  I have ony done the basic config on it using CCP Express so not much is done yet, but I do have enable and enable secret both set the same.  An example password I haev is passwprd!PASS! with the only special characters being the ! .  I can log into the router via CCP Express in a web browser, but when I ssh to the router and enter my creds it tells me Access Denied. 

It is most likely that I have done nothing of consequence to cause this since if memory serves the only thing I did between when SSH worked and now when it doesn't, is edi vty 5 15 and vty 0 4 with "transport input ssh", (thus removing telnet).  I certainly have not chnaged the password so the one that gets me into CP Express shoudl work on SSH too.  It is the only username I have ever specificed. 

Can anybody help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

to connect with ssh to a router you need a user/password defined in the router with the username xxx password yyy command and you must have login local configured under the vty line.

Can you do show run | be line vty as well as show run | i user either directly into CLI or with the command window in CCP.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

to connect with ssh to a router you need a user/password defined in the router with the username xxx password yyy command and you must have login local configured under the vty line.

Can you do show run | be line vty as well as show run | i user either directly into CLI or with the command window in CCP.

Regards.

Alain

I have much to learn.  Much.  I think I only added vty 0 4 because the Software Config Guide for the 890's sort of implied Ishould, but I later saw that vty 5 15 was already there by default.  So I compared the two and noticed that "login local" thing.  My vty 0 4 had only "login".  The SCG did not mention this little fact (perhaps the documentation team needs to know?) I guess "local" means a password list local to the rotuer as opposed to some kind of external one or someting.  Adding that fixed the problem though. 

I've always known that I need to become CCNA to even unbox a Cisco router but this kind of stuff just proves it.  That will take time of course but meanwhile I will need to use this forum frequently I think.  Thank you Alain for your help! 

Hi,

you're welcome.

Yes login local means use the user/password credentials configured locally on the router, if you want to use credentials stored on a radius/tacacs+ server you would need to configure AAA and either use a default method and then it will automaically applied to all lines or a named method which you can explicitly configure on a line to override the default method.

here is an example:

1) default method which uses radius server and defaults back to local if the server is not responding

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default group radius local

radius-server host x.x.x.x key XXX

so nothing to configure under lines

2) named method MY_AUTH using radius and line password if the server is not responding

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login MY_AUTHt group radius line

radius-server host x.x.x.x key XXX

line vty 0 4

password cisco

login authentication MY_AUTH

Regards.

Alain.

I apologize for not replying sooner, sometimes I lose track. Will remember to review this thread soon. Thank you!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card