cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

891W Router - reset embedded WAP password?

ValleyITPC
Level 1
Level 1

HI all.  I have a Cisco 891W ISR with the embedded AP801 inside.  I seem to have forgotten the password for it.  I can get into the router no problem, but must have at some point disabled the web server for the AP as I can't get to it that way, so need to go there via CLI it seems.  As htere is o console port for the embedded AP, I can only imagine there's a means to reset it by command line.  I hope!

Please help, thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remote into your router.  Issue the ENABLE command "service-module wlan-ap 0 reset bootloader".  The AP will reboot into ROMmon.

Then remote into your AP using the command "service-module wlan-ap 0 session" and change the filename of the running-config.

When you've done that, enter "boot" and the AP will reboot into factory default.  Issue the next command "copy start run".  Then go "config t" and change the password and save the config.  Done.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remote into your router.  Issue the ENABLE command "service-module wlan-ap 0 reset bootloader".  The AP will reboot into ROMmon.

Then remote into your AP using the command "service-module wlan-ap 0 session" and change the filename of the running-config.

When you've done that, enter "boot" and the AP will reboot into factory default.  Issue the next command "copy start run".  Then go "config t" and change the password and save the config.  Done.

I have the same issue.

please tell me how could we "Then remote into your AP using the command "service-module wlan-ap 0 session" and change the filename of the running-config." while we can't login to it! in order to remote into it you'd still need the user/pass for the AP.

Did you try this?

service-module wlan-ap 0 reset default-config

and then reset the AP module

service-module wlan-ap 0 res

Jawad

Jawad

Hi all.  I'm still not yet able to test.  Testing the solutions involves dsiconnecting various wi-fi connected users onsite so it's a tough scheduling problem.  I will make sure I post bacxk to this thread as soon as I can - keep any additional suggestions coming though - I can queue all of them to try!

Thank you as well.

Ok I have successfully accomplished the task.  Hwoever oddly the steps were different.  Since it was first in the sequential order of thread replies, I first tried Leo's suggestion.  Step 1 which did the "reset bootloader" seemed to go well.  However i did not know how to rename running-config.  While at the AP's prompt, dir showed 4 filesystems yet none had nvram, so I tried to access flash[0] and it said permission denied.  Eitehr way, I restarted the AP by entering "boot".  This brought it up to a default configuruation already. 

I then copied start run, found that it was all default stuff anyway, so I upgraded flash and input my own config from a previous config template I had created for these APs. 

So I didn't get a chance to the "reset default-config".  However, what's the difference between the two?  (no problme if nobody gets a chance to answer, just curious). 

I opened a ticket with cisco and they concluded that this was a hardware issue and the unit needs to be replaced.

That's odd but I imagine there were things happening differently between your and my problem, else it would be strange that they replace hardware.  A new router means all new configuration so I guess it's still a solution for you as well

Thanks dude, you're the best!

That command "default-config" best ever.

Saved me from the hell that is Cisco service-modules with AP's.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card