cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8e supervisor ten gigabit sfp ports

arcticking67
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 8e supervisor on a 4506e chassis that has 8 sfp ports. They are all 10 gig ports, but I need 1 gig ports. Typically on the 7le supervisor you could change the ten gig to a gigabit sfp port with the "hw-module uplink gigabit" command.

That doesn't appear available on this 8e supervisor. Is there a command to tell this 8e supervisor to go from 10 gig to 1 gig? Thanks! 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should not need any command. Just change the optic from SFP+ to SFP and that should give you a 1G interface.

HTH

View solution in original post

What exactly still shows as 10g?

As Reza already noted, if you connect a SFP, port should run at gig.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should not need any command. Just change the optic from SFP+ to SFP and that should give you a 1G interface.

HTH

At present, I have 1 gig sm long hauls installed. It still shows 10 gig. Does the uplink to another switch have to be initiated before it changes to 1 gig?

What exactly still shows as 10g?

As Reza already noted, if you connect a SFP, port should run at gig.

The port itself says that it is a tengigabit port. It recognizes the SFP module as a 1gig, but it still says the port is a tengigabit port.  

The is a normal behavior.  When you change the optic from 10 to 1, the interface name will not change. It still shows 10Gig but the actual speed of the interface is 1Gig.

If you issue "sh interface x/x" it should show you that it is a gig port.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card