Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 power stack question

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

This might be a strange question, but are there any data or specifications available to compare the following situation.

Take a switch that has x W of total power need ( and assume x can be fed by 1 PS in PS1, for example the 1100W PS)

How does the situation with 1x 1100W PS compare to the situation with 2x 1100W PS in this case ?

1) if there are two PS in the system, is the power budget divided across both PS by default ?

in other words, is each PS pulling ~ half of the current ?

2) how much -total- extra current does the system use with 2PS active (each 50% of the load) compared to 1PS (taking full load) ?

3) how much extra "heath" is produced by two PS each taking 50% of the load, compared to 1 PS taking 100% of the load ?

I would like to put 2 PS into the system to cover for the failure of a PS, but i need to be able to estimate the impact on the electrical circuit that is going to feed both of them (fuse) and the environmental impact (extra heat). There is also local electrical legislation that limits the maximum number of "power points" on a single electrical circuit.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @gnijs ,

1)  the device should use a single PS and the other is left unused by default unless you configure for using them both

2) , 3) I don't know

Final note: putting two PS on the same line is not recommended, you should use two separate lines one protected by UPS and one that can be normal. Most of the times a lack of current on the line is more frequent then a PS that breaks.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Its all depends on requirement and business standards.

Most i have see as dual Feed for the Power supply so they need 1 PSU is good enough to to start, but some business go with dual PSU different modes

Look at the below document explain in detailed :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper-c11-741945.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can input all your information here and get the desired answers you are looking for :

https://cpc.cloudapps.cisco.com/cpc/

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card