cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 Smart License

keanej
Level 3
Level 3

We are gong to deploy a lot of 9300 switches, I have the first 3. These will not have internet access when they are deployed.

We are NOT using DNA-Advantage - we are happy using Network Advantage.

Can I simply connect the switches to the internet at HQ - activate smart licensing and activate the switch

Then cofigure and deploy the switch to site - please note - it will never have internet access at site.

What happens when the License expires ? Does the switch need to do periodic checks for valid license ? 

Any help appreciated !

James

2 Replies 2

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, 

This is somewhat new to me too. But if this helps, once the licensing is activated on the switch, it will need to periodically check for a valid license. By default it will check every 30 days, but can go up to 60 or 90 days before being considered no longer active. 

I'm in the process of deploying an "On Prem", formerly known as a Satellite server. Which is nothing more than a local machine that the switches can register their license usage and then the server synchronizes this utilization with Cisco Software Central. This may be a good solution for you.

As far as I know, once a switch is out of compliance, the services shouldn't degrade, but there may be some gotchas I'm not yet aware of. It may however, make getting support or other needs accomplished.

Anyway, just my understanding at this point.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

keanej
Level 3
Level 3
Thanks for getting back.. that makes sense

The Smart licensing is a major pain, I'll resort to raising TAC cases - Cisco are forcing this upon customers but not providing much support or documentation to faciltate a smooth transition.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card