Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 Stack Upgrade - No downtime!

rudimocnik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I appreciate this question has been raised before and it seems we don't have a solution yet. So I would like to see if anyone has found a solution.

I have been tasked to "figure out" how to perform a (2 member) cat9300 stack upgrade with no downtime with an option to rollback in case of issues. My first thought was this is impossible with a stack of switches since a stack requires software version match. I dig deeper and found the:

1) "hot-patching" capability using SMU upgrade.

2) "Enchanced Fast Software Upgrade" this claims <30 sec traffic impact and doesn't seem to support stack configuration.

I would appreciate anyone sharing experience using any of these features.

Any ideas, solutions, experience on how to upgrade a stack of c9300? Please see the diagram of current design attached.

Notes: Critical endpoint systems will be connected to both stack members. The user segment is terminated on the 9300 stack. Each 9300 switch is connected to a 920 router via routed port running OSPF. Stack consists of 9300-24T-A and 9300-24P-A currently running 16.12.3a

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Short Answer NO (i know this disappoints you,) there is no mechanism available as of now for hot patching ( I agree good to have, maybe in the future - once it available).

You need to go traditional upgrade approach and reload the stack (in the maintenance window).

ISSU/efsu all for modular with quad supervisors.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@rudimocnik wrote:

1) "hot-patching" capability using SMU upgrade.

Do not believe in the hype:  I have personally applied "hitless" SMU patching that makes the stack reboot.  

@rudimocnik wrote:

"Enchanced Fast Software Upgrade" this claims <30 sec traffic impact and doesn't seem to support stack configuration.

1. "Fast Reload" will only work if the stack is running the version that supports it.  
  2. "Fast Reload" will only work if it works.  If it does not work, all bets are off

FSU/eFSU will only work if you've done proper testing.  In the wild.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card