cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

93108tc-fx advice

Fredriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Coming from the old school of stacking 2900 35xx, I am really starstruck by the Nexis line and the new learnings I must do.  No traditional stacking, I read why they think is best.  Attempted to do a username <> privilege <> password <> command and command stopped responding after username.  So What am I to do and learn to properly configure ssh and a user?

I have 2 NX switches connected to my new Nutanix appliance.  The goal is to configure the switch for remote access, so I may then go home and finish remotely.  I also have a stacked 9300 serving as layer 2 I guess you can say,  Suggestions?  Help, please?

Think 48u rack

1 nx switch

1 nx switch

1 nutanix block

1 9300 

1 9300

1 firewall

1 firewall

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

After enabling SSH on the Nexus, you just need to add a username and password. Something like this:

username test password 5 <password> role network-admin

If you connecting to the Nexus from the outside of your network and using private IP, you need to configure NAT on your routers or firewalls.

HTH

Thanks Reza...

When you say enable ssh, you mean running

feature ssh command

It obtained an IP via DHCP from the firewall, so then I should then be able to use that IP to connect to via ssh, correct?

yes but you need to generate SSH key before you can connect.

switch# configure terminal
switch(config)# feature ssh
switch(config)# ssh key rsa 2048
switch(config)# exit
switch# show ssh key

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the expansion of knowledge.

I presume then I would need to do the following to further secure

line vty 0 15

login local

transport input ssh

transport output ssh

yes for the VTY Lines for incoming and outgoing (if you want to use this device to ssh to other devices) ssh connection.

BB

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you thinking make like stacking for redundancy you need to deploy vPC for high availability.

you can look vPC deployment :

https://www.balajibandi.com/?s=vpc&paged=2

in related to user :

username admin password 5 XXXXXXXXXXXXX role vdc-admin ( net-admin) - based on requirement

if you want other users to only do some commands you can do below :

role name username
rule 3 permit command show running-config
rule 2 permit command show *
rule 1 deny read-write

I also have a stacked 9300   - is this CAT 9300 ?

suggest to make a small network diagram for reference and you also understand what layer where servers and internet conneted.

BB

Yes 2 24 port C9300-24T-A

All you should need is to enable SSH, configure the SSH encryption key create a username and password as I indicated in the other post.

On the Nexus series, there is no vty line config needed.

HTH

Fredriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to make the correlation, but it seemed then I plugged in the console cable, it has made all ports light amber?

When I try to ping my firewall gateway 10.5.5.254, I receive no route to the host error

The IP assigned to the Nexus switch is 10.5.5.9 by the firewall.  

I have a hostname configured

no default gateway or IPs on any interface/vlan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: