Views
Helpful
Replies

9500 Mgmt-vrf interfaces

patrick.dice
Level 1
Level 1

lighting up a 9500 StackwiseVirtual switch running 16.12.x

Have Mgmt-vrf interfaces up and operational when 9500 switches are new.  When  I create the Stackwise stack the Mgmt int in switch 2 no longer responds.  When reloading switch 1 I am unable to manage the stackwise stack with the Mgmt int as switch1 in the stack is reloading.  Cant find any reference documentation for setup of the Mgmt int in a switch2 in a stackwise configuration.  Any pointers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Config wise, you only configure one interface but you need to have 2 physical cables (one connected to each OOB port). When one switch fails, the same config applies to the other switch and as long as you have both cables connected the other management port will take over.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

barweiss45
Level 1
Level 1

Only 1 management interface is available on the stack when both are up.  In order to keep managing the stack when on 1 switch is rebooting you have to have both management interfaces cabled up and connected on the same management vlan. Here's some documentation that may help:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/int_hw/b_1610_int_and_hw_9300_cg/configuring_ethernet_management_port.html#concept_pgb_5wn_h1b

HTH,

Barry

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Config wise, you only configure one interface but you need to have 2 physical cables (one connected to each OOB port). When one switch fails, the same config applies to the other switch and as long as you have both cables connected the other management port will take over.

HTH

Reza, thanks for the response. Yes, that is the behavior I was expecting. Found that removing the gig 0/0 ip address config I had applied prior to stacking and then putting the switch back into the stack resolved.
Also noticed the arp entry for the gig 0/0 interface had changed when moving mgmt. to second switch as well. Required a sufficient time to clear before the second switch was reachable via the same address.

Hi Patrick,

Required a sufficient time to clear before the second switch was reachable via the same address.

It should not take that long for the second port to take over. If you are connecting the ports to an OOB switch, make sure to enable portfast on the OOB switch ports. This should improve convergence time.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card