Helpful
Replies

9600 redundancy

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

we have just installed some

9606 switches in stakwise and dual sups.

we ran a failover test in chassis and I was suprised to see it took around 5 mins for the on chassis supervisor to come back on line.

am I right in saying they only run in RPR mode and not RPR+?

can you not run RPR+ on the 9600?

cheers

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we need more information and config - how the fail over test is done to understand, what kind of Logs you see when the fail over test conducted. what is the version of code ?

5min too high, then there is no point to have a Quad supervisor to have a high resilience setup.

some guidelines :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9600-series-switches/215627-catalyst-9600-migration-to-quad-superv.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9600/software/release/16-12/configuration_guide/ha/b_1612_ha_9600_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

we have 2 9606 running stackwise virtual, with a fast hello link also.

we tested with a device plugged into only 1 of the cores, it was the chassis with the sup running as standby, we then reset the standby sup hoping the sup in slot 4 would come online within 30-60?secs, however when running a ping from a device running plugged into the other switch it took 5 mins for the device to come back.

the supervisor 4 in the 2nd chassis was running in standby cold, again it took 5 mins to come back.

does this seem right? If they are running RPR not RPR+ this would be right ?

Hi,

Something is wrong with your setup or the way you are testing. Have never used the 9600 before but VSS or StackWise virtual failover from one chassis to another (single sup in each chassis) should not take longer than 10 or 15 seconds. Whatever device (laptop/desktop) you are testing with should be connected to the access switch and the access switch should have uplinks to both chassis with the proper configuration in place on the access and core switches (access switch later-2 only and VSS l2/l3 with SVIs configured for vlans). Also, VSS needs to be configured in SSO mode. "sh redun" should show you exactly how things are configured and if the chassis are configured in SSO mode.

HTH

Hi Reza

The sso works fine between the chassis, we have dual sups in each chassis, it’s when we switch off the standby sup in chassis 2, it should switch to RPR mode and come on in less than a min in my eyes. we are running Amsterdam 17.3.1 the recommended code by Cisco.

like I said, we lose anything with a single connection to that chassis.

It does say on the guide that it runs RPR and not RPR+ mode 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card