cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A simple subnet for a home with many renters

jacksonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Say that I'm setting up a network in a frat house. Or something similar. I am not a networking expert, I have just been given this task. Please don't ask me anything about why we are doing this, as I see it as a WOT. Regardless I need to get it up and going.

Router A deals with 192.168.2.1 through 192.168.2.254. (Currently subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

We want to add a second router (Router B) with addresses 192.168.3.1 through 192.168.3.254.

We want to have desktop (hard wired) PCs on Router A's network addressing 192.168.2.X, and mobiles devices (Laptops and phones....hardwired and/or wifi) to connect trough Router B with the 192.168.3.X addresses.

We would like to be able to share/access between the 2.X and 3.X subnets

So from what I understand I run a hard line from the Ethernet port on Router A to the WAN port on Router B.

Questions are:

1. What should I use as my subnet mask on Router A.......and the machines hard lined to it?

2.What should I use as my subnet mask on Router B......and the machines hard lined or wified to it?

3. Do I keep DHCP enabled on Router B or will Router A handle that.

4. What do I need to enter into my routing tables on both Router A and Router B?

That's it for now, am I missing anything that I should know?

Thanks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

12 Replies 12

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

Curious, what make/model are you using?  And why use two routers?  Do you have two differnet internet connections? 

From the sound of it you want to run B to A and then A out to internet.

I believe one router would be able to handle diff DHCP scopes.

Example-

service dhcp

!

ip dhcp pool Network-A

network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.2.1

dns-server blah blah

ip dhcp pool Network-B

network 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.3.1

dns-server blah blah

interface ethernet 0

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface ethernet 1

ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

!

or something close to this. 

Let us know if your using a Cisco cli router or Linksys or whatever.

jacksonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Router A is actually a modem/router combo .......the make......says Bell Canada l......my network maps show a Motorola network device. Router B is a Cysco/Lynksis model Wrt310N.

Regardless of the kind of routers tou are using, you should enable dhcp server on both routers, on each one its ip network.

Regarding the routing, it is enabled by default on most routers, and since you will connect phisically the two routers, you will setup the two interfaces of that phisical connection with the same ip network, so the routing will function automatically.

Don't worry about subnet masks, you would have be if you were dividing same subnet in more networks, but in your case you are going to have two completely seperate networks.

To make comunicate hosts on router B with hosts on router A with thier ip class, you have to disable the nat on router B.

Hope this will help.

Mohammad was right, regardless of the router almost all now a days do support DHCP.   So the WRT310N, this is aGUI based or CLI?  Are we to assume the Bell Canada device is provided by someone else and you can not access it or do you have access to it. 

Is this why you are doing the two router approach?  To me still seems like you can do this with one device.  The more devices the more points of failure you introduce and you double your configuration effort.  But you know your network best.

jacksonrc
Level 1
Level 1

I do have full access to the settings on the bell modem/router.

As for the Cisco, because I am not in any way adept at networking, I don't know what you mean by GUI or CLI?

It was my understanding from my research that the subnet mad would need to be 255.255.254.0 in order for all hosts on the 192.168.2.X an 192.168.3.X networks to see each other and share files.

I agree all of the house needs could be met by 1 router, I was asked to have the 3.1 network added for laptops and other mobile devices. I don't know the reasons, it's just my assignment.

Thanks

birka.izik
Level 1
Level 1

router A subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 - it's for  addresses 192.168.2.1 - 254

router B subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 - it's for  addresses 192.168.3.1 - 254

DHCP should be enable on both routers , router A for network 192.168.2.0/24 and router B for network 192.168.3.0/24

connect between the two routers , configure the port's to be in the same network (for example : router A 10.1.1.1/30 , router B 10.1.1.2/30)

after that , add a route in router A - > 192.168.3.0 go to 10.1.1.2

add a route in router B - > 192.168.2.0 go to 10.1.1.1

that's it , it should work.

if it's help please rate me

thanks

izik.

jacksonrc
Level 1
Level 1

I'll give everything a shot tomorrow.

Being a newbie to networking, I'm sop confused about the comments about ports and where the 10.1.1.1/30 and 10.1.1.2/30 came from or what you mean?

look at this draw...

don't forget to add the routes

if it's help please rate me

thanks

izik.

What draw(ing)??

jacksonrc
Level 1
Level 1

I have router B with me, connected to my laptop and am putting in the settings.

So, the routing table setting on Router B is asking for

Destination....I'm assuming I put 192.168.2.0

Gateway: not sure, but I think 192.168.3.1 (Router B)

Metric ???have no clue, default according to Wikipedia is 1

And whether its a WAN or LAN interface. The cable will be plugged into an Ethernet port on Router A and the WAN port on router B, so I'm assuming a WAN interface?

after you connect between the two routers and configured the correct ip's for each port

first check connectivity between the tow routers , ping from B to 10.1.1.1 and check if you get replay , if not , it won't work until you gain connectivity

if you have connectivity

configure the routes :

on router A -

destination - 192.168.3.0

gateway  - 10.1.1.2

metric - 1

interafce - the one that you connect to router B

on router B -

destination - 192.168.2.0

gateway - 10.1.1.1

metric - 1

interafce - the one that you connect to router A

jacksonrc
Level 1
Level 1

And yes I will rate everyone who has helped me as soon as I get it done.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card