cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access and Trunk Port Communication - SNMP

mparham6
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ports configured on a switch, one being an access port for VLAN 10, the other being a trunk port.  Should two hosts (one connected to the access port, the other connected to the trunk port) be able to talk to each other?  Specifically via an SNMP tool?  I'm unable to establish the communication with this configuration until I give the trunk port a "switchport trunk allowed vlan 10" command.  Why is this necessary?  Shouldn't it work without this config since a trunk port should be allowing all VLAN traffic through?  

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is much we do not know that might have some impact on answering this question. What kind of switch is this? What version of code is it running? Exactly how was the trunk port configured? What kind of device is connected to the trunk port? Is it configured to process tagged frames? It would be helpful if you could post the output of show interface trunk from before you made the config change and after you made the config change?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card