cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Port Multi VLANs ?!

saschauhle89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have got a question concerning vlan's.

I got an access port configured like this:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23

description "User"

switchport access vlan 13

switchport mode access

Now i want that users could also connect to this in vlan 10. Something like "switchport access vlan 10 + 13"

Is there a way to have mulit vlans in an access port or is it not possible?

Thanks you for you answers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

danjone3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The one possibility not mentioned in the other answers is dynamic VLAN assignment with 802.1x.  If you have users authenticating via 802.1x, you can change the VLAN assignment based upon the user.  If user x logs in, he's attached to VLAN A but if user y logs in, he'll be attached to VLAN B.  This may or may not be applicable to your specific requirements and configuration.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you're going to be using it for voice, you can do:

int g1/0/23

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 13

switchport voice vlan 10

If you're wanting to use it for data, you'll need to trunk the port. You cannot have two untagged vlans on the port.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As John said at any given point of time a single port when it is configured as "Access" will be part of only one vlan. Except the one concept of voice vlan were you will see two vlans (Voice and data) is configured on the same port.

But other than that you cant do or have multiple vlans configured on single port.

You need to use the trunk port which is used to carry multiple vlans across the switch.

HTH

regards

inayath

danjone3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The one possibility not mentioned in the other answers is dynamic VLAN assignment with 802.1x.  If you have users authenticating via 802.1x, you can change the VLAN assignment based upon the user.  If user x logs in, he's attached to VLAN A but if user y logs in, he'll be attached to VLAN B.  This may or may not be applicable to your specific requirements and configuration.

saschauhle89
Level 1
Level 1

So i understand that it is not possible to have mutliple vlans on an access port.

Could you tell me how to configure these user specific dynamic vlan konfiguration?

Because i have the request of using one port for two different vlans. Because there is only one port for the user to get access to the network. But they have to get access to 2 different vlans.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card