Views
Helpful
Replies

ACL on VLAN

puropuro1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all.

I have a networking topology running on GNS3 with IOU.

So well, I have 3 swtiches running the same VTP configuration.

The server VTP switch is connected to the router that serves as a gateway for these switches.

Ok, what I want to know is how can I deny ICMP between the PCs connected to these three switches, but I want to allow ping to internet.

So what I was trying to do to reach that is create an ACL that I set on the subinterface that is paired with the VLAN that contains the PCs that I want to allow/deny icmp (of course, this is being settled on the gateway switch).

On the attachment you will find the lines of my ACL. (This allow ping all the equipments to the gateway address on the router, and to ping the internet but not between them, also allows DHCP service because my gateway router also serves as a DHCP server).

When I set that ACL on the subinterface and I test the configurations what I got is that my PCs are not able to ping to the internet (or any other network apart the blocket one) but I can ping between them, I mean the ACL is doing the inverse to the derised effect of the configuration.

Herein I am attaching the topology and the ACL config.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The VACL that you have configured will only affect traffic as it traverses the SVI (I'm not clear if you have set it in, out or both).

Since you are trying to prevent communication between devices in the same VLAN you should take a look at PACLs:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swacl.html#pgfId-1285529

Or maybe PVLANs would provide better separation between your devices on the same VLAN?:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swpvlan.html

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The VACL that you have configured will only affect traffic as it traverses the SVI (I'm not clear if you have set it in, out or both).

Since you are trying to prevent communication between devices in the same VLAN you should take a look at PACLs:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swacl.html#pgfId-1285529

Or maybe PVLANs would provide better separation between your devices on the same VLAN?:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swpvlan.html

cheers,

Seb.

I tried PVLAN.

I was able to isolate the private vlans but these were not able to get communicated with the promiscuous port , therefore I have a full isolation of these ports.

I associated my PVLAN to the main VLAN but nothing happens, total isolation between PVLANs (good) and between PVLANs and Promiscuous ports (BAD).

Seems PVLAN is the correct path, but there must be something wrong in my config that creates that problem.

Seb, there is something else I have to add.

The access switch is connected with two more switches running VTP, this is for redundance in case of failures.

So I need to know how to set PVLAN on a switch with trunking ports and native vlan.

So we get this right first time, can you provide the running config of the switches?

cheers,

Seb.

Seb! don't worry about that running config.

I realized both, IOS and Switch are not capable to implement PVLAN on trunking ports, to do so I must change my hardware and software!

So I decided to go with the VACL option, in this moment I'm learning about it, once I get something I will write a reply here.

However thank you very much for your patient, I will be updating my progress in this challenge.

Seb, I'm going to try onepk from Cisco Dev.

My problem goes beyond knownledge of command lines, hehe it's about lack of command options due to software incompatibilities.

By the way I'm going to tag your answer as correct, without your advice I would not know what is PVLAN or VACL because I'm just a CCNA.

Hi Everyone,

Could you please tell me which IOS support for GNS IOU ? i cant perform this practical on my IOU

Kindly provide me IOS name and version details.

Regards,

Vishal

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi to all.

I have a networking topology running on GNS3 with IOU.

So well, I have 3 swtiches running the same VTP configuration.

The server VTP switch is connected to the router that serves as a gateway for these switches.

Ok, what I want to know is how can I deny ICMP between the PCs connected to these three switches, but I want to allow ping to internet.

So what I was trying to do to reach that is create an ACL that I set on the subinterface that is paired with the VLAN that contains the PCs that I want to allow/deny icmp (of course, this is being settled on the gateway switch).

On the attachment you will find the lines of my ACL. (This allow ping all the equipments to the gateway address on the router, and to ping the internet but not between them, also allows DHCP service because my gateway router also serves as a DHCP server).

When I set that ACL on the subinterface and I test the configurations what I got is that my PCs are not able to ping to the internet (or any other network apart the blocket one) but I can ping between them, I mean the ACL is doing the inverse to the derised effect of the configuration.

Herein I am attaching the topology and the ACL config.

Hi,

You can achieve the requirement by VACL as per suggestion by Seb. Once you have configured the act you need to apply lan filter in that switch for which lan you are applying this acl.

Check out the below link on VACL for more clarification.

https://networklessons.com/cisco/vlan-access-list-vacl/

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

puropuro1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for your replies, I will check your solutions and then I will tell you how it was with me.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card