Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a WS-X6716-10GE card in a CAT6509

Caue W
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I will be adding two WS-X6716-10GE cards in a CAT6509 soon, and will create 4 port channels with 3 ports each in the new cards, but I do have a few questions, if somebody can help me out:

1 - I will be adding cards in slots 3 and 8, can I mix and bundle ports from both modules into a single etherchannel, I mean, like two ports in slot 3 and 1 port in slot 8 to create a PortChannel ?! Or can I only bundle ports in the same card/port-group in a Etherchannel using this WS-X6716-10GE card?

2 - Do I need to issue the hw-module slot x oversubscription port-group y command in order to be able to bundle ports in the Etherchannel I need to create ?! I will be using 4 Etherchannels (LACP)  with 3 ports each, running in trunk mode. So I guess, I will be using something like:

int tengig 3/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

logging event link-status

speed nonegotiate

udld port

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 18 mode active

no shut

Correct?!

Reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_cisco_catalyst_6500_series_16port_10gigabit_ethernet_module.html

3 - Any other consideradion you may find useful!

Obs_1: Currently running this IOS: s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI.bin, and according to this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_bulletin_cisco_catalyst_6500_series_16port_10gigabit_ethernet_module.html

It should be ok, right?!

Obs_2: Cards currently installed (not with the WS-X6716-10GE yet):

Mod Ports Card Type

--- ----- -------------------------------------------------------------------

1   24  CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP

2   24  CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP

4   48  48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule

5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)

6    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)

7   48  48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule

9   48  48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule

Thanks!!!!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can mix and match any port from any blade in the switch as long as the ports run the same speed and duplex

For number of ports in an Portchannel, because the way that the hashing algorithm works, it is recommended to use 2, 4, 6, etc...(even numbers) in an Portchannel and not 3, 5, etc...

No, you don't need to issue hw-module slot x oversubscription port-group y command

As for your IOS, 12.2(33)SXI is pretty old.  I would recommend SXI4 or later.

HTH

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. you can bundle ports from any modules in the etherchannel. That doesnt matter at all.

2. there is absolutely no need to give oversuscription command.The 16-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet module works in oversubscription mode by default.

3. Might find this link useful:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/channel.html

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate useful posts.

Hi there,

I have a query regarding what impact there may be to packet-flow (if any) when changing the oversubscription mode on the WS-6716-10GE card.

I have a customer currently operating "no hw-module slot x oversubscription" on two modules providing 1:1 40Gbps etherchannels to two blade-server-chassis. They have never used more than 800Mbps of bandwidth.

When removing this command is there any disruption to packet flow through the active ports ?

Thanks

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

There will be a brief moment where packet loss may occur as the asics are reprogrammed when going from performance mode to oversubscription mode.  The process would be just entering the command 'hw-module slot x oversubscription'.FYI, I've handled one such issue last week where in customer have faced  high cpu plus complete network outage with MAC flaps. Bug id CSCtf28866 is been documented for the same.

Thanks,

Richard

*Rate if useful

Anjas Vaheed
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/qa_cisco_catalyst_6500_series_16port_10gigabit_ethernet_module.html

This one document will answer your question....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card