Views
Helpful
Replies

Add stack member 3750

bapatsubodh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of the stack member has failed and we need to replace the same with the new one.

Currently show switch shows as follows

1#show swit

1#show switch

Current

Switch#  Role      Mac Address     Priority     State

--------------------------------------------------------

*2       Master    001a.6c52.7100     1         Ready

4       Slave     0000.0000.0000     0         Provisioned ----------------> failed member

5       Slave     001a.6c52.7280     1         Ready

switch provision

1#sh running-config | inc provision

switch 2 provision ws-c3750-48ts

switch 4 provision ws-c3750-48ts

switch 5 provision ws-c3750-48ts

We plan to take following steps:

1. Configure the priority of the switch 2 to be 15 so that it will be master all the time

2. New replacement device  have the same IOS as that of the other members.

3. Power down all the members in the stack.

4. Add the new member of the stack.

5.Power up all members

Now, will the new switch will take the role of the switch 4 and will it get all the configuration which is provisoined (also can be seen in the running configurtaion).

Or it will get added as new member say like switch 6?

What will be the new number of switch 5? ( Should remain 5 as it is, I would imagine )

Using the following link for reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_sec/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1110719

Please share the experience.

Cheers.

Subodh

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have a look at table-5 in the link you provided.

HTH

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Subodh,

you don't need to power down the existing stack members to connect the new member.

What is really important is that the new switch is of the same type as expected:

>> switch 4 provision ws-c3750-48ts

see table 5-1 in the document that you have linked that illustrates what happens when the new switch is added

the new switch should become member n.4 and should inherit the provisioned configuration

Hope to help

Giuseppe

zabeelmusa
Level 1
Level 1

Before you put the switch in the stack power it first on your desk and try to make sure the iOS matches what's already in the stack. This will save you loads of hassle later on if there is a iOS mismatch and you need to downgrade or upgrade.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

dynamitec1
Level 1
Level 1

Now, will the new switch will take the role of the switch 4 and will it get all the configuration which is provisoined (also can be seen in the running configurtaion).

"AFAIK, the new member will not have the configuration of the one that failed (e.g. VLAN, speed, port security etc.)"

Or it will get added as new member say like switch 6?

"You can just use the command renumber, because new member of the stack will be #6 by default"

"What will be the new number of switch 5? ( Should remain 5 as it is, I would imagine )"

It will remain 5, renumber.

And there's no need to power down all devices.

Hello,

I have the same code running on the new standby switch. 

To be sure shouldnt we set the priority of the master switch to 15? ( as it is not set default ) so that even after adding the new member to the stack the same switch will remain the mastr.

I will update the post when activity is complete.

With the results.

Cheers..

Subodh

dynamitec1
Level 1
Level 1

Subodh,

Yes, set priority to 15 for whichever SW you want to be a master.

I actually just learned more of this when we started upgrading to 3700-E series last month.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

Added the stack number to the stack.

Exactly the same switch model and with the same code running. But this switch got added as a new switch and not as the provisioned switch automatically.

I set the priority of this switch to 1 but it still shows as 15.

And now the newly addedd switch is showing as master.

#show switch

Current

Switch#  Role      Mac Address     Priority     State

--------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master    0014.a8c2.0380     15        Ready  ----------> new added switch has become the master.

2       Slave     001a.6c52.7100     15        Ready ------------------> original master

4       Slave     0000.0000.0000     0         Provisioned ------> provisioed member

5       Slave     001a.6c52.7280     1         Ready

I was expecting that the new switch will take the provisioed switch configuration with switch member as 4.

I tried to renumber the switch from 1 to 4 but it didnt work.

Please share the experience.

Thankfully the configuration on the switch members 2 and 5 didnt change .

Cheers..

Subodh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco