cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a 2960s to an existing stack of two 2960s

Mike Mott
Level 1
Level 1

I have to add a 2960s PoE switch to an existing stack of two 2960s PoE switches. If The new switch has no configuration on it and the existing stack is broken by pulling te stack cables and then new cables are added and everything re-cabled correctly will the new switch assume the configuration from the stack without any issues?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To add new members to an existing master switch, make sure all the switch members have the same IOS as the master switch.  Also ensure the new members do not have any configs (including VLAN.dat).

When adding the member switch, please ensure the member switches are POWERED OFF.  Connect the stacking cable and then apply power.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To add new members to an existing master switch, make sure all the switch members have the same IOS as the master switch.  Also ensure the new members do not have any configs (including VLAN.dat).

When adding the member switch, please ensure the member switches are POWERED OFF.  Connect the stacking cable and then apply power.

leolaohoo

Thank You Thank You Thank You. Your response was right on. Everything came up just fine. I appreciate your time and your knowledge. THANK YOU

Mike Mott

Thanks for the ratings, Mike.

Ok, now you've done the "hard" part.  I'd recommend you do some "housekeeping".

Ok, let's say you have three switches in a stack.  And you want the stack to be in the order of 1, 2, and 3 with 1 as the stack master and 2 as the secondary.

You'll also notice that the stack boots about 30 seconds slower because the entire stack has to go into an "election" to find out who's the master.

So if you want to make the stack boot slightly faster and, as I've mentioned above, 1 as the stack master and 2 as the secondary, then run this command:

conf t

switch 1 priority 15

switch 2 priority 13

switch 3 priority 11

end

Confirm the settings by using the command "sh switch detail".

Thank You again for your help. the design called for a 24 port 2960S however we had to order a couple of them first. We had a couple of 48 port 2960S so I added one of the 48 port until the 24 port came in. I hesitated adding these command when you initially sent them to me because I would be changing this stack. I have my 24 port and am ready to swap out th 48 port for a 24 port. I am assuming the same applies. Ensure that the new switch has the same IOS version as the existing stack, Ensure that there is no config present including the vlan.dat file and then power down all switches in stack and do my stack cabling and then re-apply power?

I do have an additional question or two.

1) When I apply the priority commands to the stack will it cause the stack to re-boot or go through the re-election process.

2) All of these stacks have an RPS 2300 connected to them and on one of these I see the following output when I look at the results of the show env stack command:

sho env stack

SWITCH: 1
FAN is OK
TEMPERATURE is OK
Temperature Value: 25 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 51 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold : 61 Degree Celsius
POWER is FAULTY
RPS is SUPPLYING

SWITCH: 2
FAN is OK
TEMPERATURE is OK
Temperature Value: 24 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 51 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold : 61 Degree Celsius
POWER is OK

RPS is AVAILABLE

On this the DC Output led for port 1 is flashing.

Any thoughts?

Thank You

Mike

1) When I apply the priority commands to the stack will it cause the stack to re-boot or go through the re-election process.

If you change the priority, you have to reboot the stack in order for the change to take effect.

2)  All of these stacks have an RPS 2300 connected to them and on one of  these I see the following output when I look at the results of the show env stack command:

It appears that you have a bad power supply and the RPS is supporting the switch.  Take a look at the back of the switch and see if the light on the PSU is green, if not then the PSU is bad.

HTH

If you are going to chop-and-change the switches around, there are a few commands you want to consider.  For example, you want to remove switch 4 and you want to put a different model in.

1.  Command:  switch 4 renumber 1

2.  Command:  no switch provi 4

3.  Power down switch 4

4.  Remove Switch 4

5.  Add new switch.

Switch 4 will reboot and the interfaces will be Gig 1/0/X instead of Gig 4/0/X. 

POWER is FAULTY

RPS is SUPPLYING

I haven't seen this before but I believe this is a bug.

Leo Thank You fo rthe reply I recieved a couple of other replies from folks and was a little confused by what they were saying. I will contatct cisco TAC in regards to the RPS issue. The switch that was added two weeks ago was a 48 port 2960S switch and was switch 3. it comes up as G3/0/X. I am simply swapping it out with a 24 port 2960S I have upgraded the IOS to the same version as the existing members in that stack. I am assuming that as long as there is no config on the new switch and it is the same IOS version I can sipmply follow the initial instructions that I recieved. These are the switch settings currently:

show switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0cd9.96dc.8780

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master 0cd9.96dc.8780     15     1       Ready              

2       Member 0cd9.96fc.5200     1      1       Ready              

3       Member 34bd.c808.e900     1      1       Ready            

Once the new switch comes up I will set them as you had suggested to SW 1 priority 15, SW  2 priority 13, and SW 3 priority 11.

I understand that I will have to reboot the switches once the config changes are made to the switch priorities to get t hem to take effect. In looking at your last reply will I need to shut down the entire stack again ? or simply power down only switch 3 disconnect stack cabling move stack module to new 24 port switch re-connect stack cables and power up switch 3 ?

Once the switches have joined the stack, you do not need to reboot. The priorities will work immediately.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

sivaalthi85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi lelohoo,

Does the new switch has to be in which mode when we are adding to the existing stack ?
Server or client or transparent ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Does the new switch has to be which in mode when we are adding to the existing stack ?

Server or client or transparent ?

Doesn't make a difference.  Server, client or transparent are VTP modes.  And this factor is irrevelant.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card