Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new switch to a stack via trunking

N.UddinSheikh
Level 1
Level 1
Hi all,

I have 5 switches installed via stacking and 7 to 8 VLANs running on to it, I now have to add another switch to the environment but via trunking, as this switch will only be used for just two VLANs, which is VLAN 10 and 11

I have a couple of queries if someone can help me out please,

Can I configure ssh and give a different domain name?

To assign an IP I will need to configure a VLAN so I can ssh to it will that work if I configure VTP transparent mode on the new switch?

Also what sort of configuration i need to do on the new switch so the traffic of vlan10,11 can be transported from new switch to the stack,

Do i need to create a VLAN 10, 11 on the new switch or can i just configure an interface to trunk mode, if i create a vlan 10, 11 would it be better to make this switch VTP client?

Please, can someone guide me through?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Connect the new switch to the stack via a trunk port and add only vlan 10 and 11 to it. Also, configure vlan 10 and 11 on the new switch and configure all access ports with proper vlan 10 or 11. Use the same domain name and only use VTP mode transparent. No need to worry about VTP, as it can cause more harm than help. Just configure the vlans manually on the switch. 

HTH

Thanks for your reply, can i please ask vlans on the stack have an ip address assign if i create vlans on the new switch do i need to assign ip address to them as well or just create vlans?

Thanks a lot  

If the 2 new vlans you are creating on the new switch have already an SVIs with IPs on the stack then you don't need any IP.  The vlans would be just layer-2 on the new switch and the IP (SVIs) on the stack.

HTH

Mate thanks a lot i will give a go and come back to you. 

Sure, good luck!

Hi Mate,

thanks a lot for your help, can I please ask the telnet is giving me a bit of issue, I have configured a vlan 100 with ip 172.24.30.100 where as in my network we using 192 IP to access this switch do I need to add an interface to vlan 100?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card