Views
Helpful
Replies

adding stack modules to live switches

jeroenhermans
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

We currently have 2 x 2960s switches that are live and have an erherchannel between them. To free up the ports used by the etherchannel, to increase the bandwidth between the 2 and to make it easier to manage them, we have decided to stack them together.
What would be the procedure to do this with minimal or no downtime?
Do we really need to factory default one of the 2 before we connect the stacking cables?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I would recommend you delete your config in your 2nd switch.

View solution in original post

- Insert stack module in switch 1 and configure it to be the master (should not impact anything).

- shutdown switch 2 (everything is redundantly connected to both switches so this should not impact anything).

Oh no.  You're making it way too complicated.  Have a look at my tried-and-tested method.

1.  Make sure both switches are running the same IOS version and the same feature set. 

2.  Make sure you delete the configuration and the VLAN database from switch #2 before you power it down.

3.  Next, you want to make it easier, copy the entire interface configuration of switch 2 and provisision switch 1 using this command:  switch 2 prov <2960S model number>.  Once you've entered this, and even though switch 2 hasn't been cabled up yet, you would now be able to insert the configuration.  NOTE:  Take caution as you need to change the interface label so switch 2's interfaces will now be "GigabitEthernet 2/0/X". 

NOTE:  You DO NOT NEED to unpatch all the ports from switch 2.  That's a time-consuming exercise that has no benefit.

4.  Power down switch 2. 

5.  Insert stacking module.  Cable up stacking cable.

6.  Power up switch 2.

7.  DONE.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Power down the 2nd switch.  Cable the stack-cable.  Power up second switch.

jeroenhermans
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply. Will all my config on both switches remain intact when doing this?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I would recommend you delete your config in your 2nd switch.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

When you stack them, I think it will overwrite the config on the second switch so it may be worth creating what its going to be in notepad and then doing a copy/paste once the second switch boots into the stack

OK, so this is going to be the plan then:

- Insert stack module in switch 1 and configure it to be the master (should not impact anything).

- shutdown switch 2 (everything is redundantly connected to both switches so this should not impact anything).

- disconnect all cables from switch 2 (so that when the stack comes up the connected equipment is not going to try and use those connections yet as they will have no vlans assigned)

- insert the stack module in switch 2 and connect via terminal to clear the config (including the vlan database)

- Shutdown the switch, connect the stack cables between switch 1 and 2, and turn it back on. (not sure if it is needed to do this in shutdown mode?)

- check the stack to make sure all is OK. Normally config on the master should not have changed and the second switch should have no config.

- configure the ports on the 2nd switch the way they were (without the etherchannel) and connect back all the cables.

- Done

Correct?

Oh no.  You're making it way too complicated.  Have a look at my tried-and-tested method.

1.  Make sure both switches are running the same IOS version and the same feature set. 

2.  Make sure you delete the configuration and the VLAN database from switch #2 before you power it down.

3.  Next, you want to make it easier, copy the entire interface configuration of switch 2 and provisision switch 1 using this command:  switch 2 prov <2960S model number>.  Once you've entered this, and even though switch 2 hasn't been cabled up yet, you would now be able to insert the configuration.  NOTE:  Take caution as you need to change the interface label so switch 2's interfaces will now be "GigabitEthernet 2/0/X". 

NOTE:  You DO NOT NEED to unpatch all the ports from switch 2.  That's a time-consuming exercise that has no benefit.

4.  Power down switch 2. 

5.  Insert stacking module.  Cable up stacking cable.

6.  Power up switch 2.

7.  DONE.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply. In the mean time I have carried out the change as described in my previous post with he difference that I had the upgrade the IOS on the switches first as they were not recognising the stack module otherwise.

Not having to disconnect the cables from the 2nd switch would have indeed saved me a lot of time, but it's done now:)

Rgds,

Jeroen

Good to hear everything is working fine, Jeroen.

And thanks for taking the time to rate our useful posts and providing us with your feedback. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card