Views
Helpful
Replies

Addressing copper 100m limitation

Todd Bren
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

How do you address 100m Cat5/6/7 copper reach limitation? Please tell me your ideas when copper is a must, i.e. no fiber.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Guru Mysoruu
Level 1
Level 1

1) For every 90 to 95 meters distance you need to install a switch.All depends upon the end devices and how many devices you connect.

All switch will work like uplink.

2)Otherwise you can use one access points,in other end Wireless access point you can take copper output.

This is pricy solution. Isn't there any option of active patch panels that act like signal repeaters?

I need to run 48 copper cables from a switch located in the only LAN room in a building to 240 meters distant servers/users.

My idea is to run 48 copper cables over some intermediate wiring closets that contain such repeater-like patch panels.

The problem is I don't know if something like this exists. Any more suggestions please?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

There are 3rd party long haul Ethernet repeaters (you can find them if you "search" the Internet).  I think they might slow the data rate, and for 48 connections, you might find them even more expensive than a low end switch being used just as a signal regenerator.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card