cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on Purchasing L3 Switches

BashedRoot
Level 2
Level 2

Looking to replace my antiquated 3750G switches (2 of them stacked). I need brand new L3 switches, 2 of them stacked and looking at the 3650 series.

I assume "LAN" based is intranet/L2 only. I know IP based is L3 which is what I need, but would one L3 (core primary) and one L2 LAN based work in stacked mode?

Also, what do they mean by standalone switch like on Cisco's page?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/datasheet-c78-729449.html

I'm looking at the WS-C3650-24TS-S L3 switch and perhaps WS-C3650-24TS-L L2 switch if that works on a stacked mode like I have now.

Are these switches single proc, dual/quad core? Their specs pages don't say much.

8 Replies 8

julijime
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi BashedRoot,

Regarding your queries, the new switches like 3650 or 3850 need to have the same license level on every member in order to be able to form a stack, so you won't be able to mix them.

Standalone only means that the switch can work without being member of a stack.

These switches are quad core.

HTH,

Julio

Thanks Julio for the tip and clarification.

So for my usage below, you think the 3650 would be a feasible upgrade and more than capable from my 3750G?

100-150MBps consistent bandwidth per month

Roughly 25-35,000 routed IP addresses (IPv4)

40-50 VLANs (this is small I know)

I guess I'll get 2 of the L3 WS-C3650-24TS-S switches and stack those.

I found a pretty good price (new) on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9FOO26/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4J2WM5MRHQLD

Plus stacking kit (I'll get 2 of these) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HX8HR7Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17LNF5SPTWDCI

1 x 3M cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Q21RMC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13S43OBR0QXU2

Looks about right? I'm doing my best to make sure my transition is smooth as possible.

Would it be feasible to do a simple copy/paste of the configuration entirely from my 3750G primary to the new 3650 primary? If yes, could you *please* explain how I can do this myself using either crash cart or USB key. I would be grateful as currently the 2 network engineers I've used before are not quite reliable and I don't want to depend on them. I'm a quick learner so please assist.

Thanks again!

Hi BashedRoot,

The 3650 should be able to handle your network requirements without problem.

Regarding the configuration, as these new paltforms run IOS-XE and have a new architecture some commands from your old configuration might not be accepted, specially if you're running QoS. The easiest way from my perspective would be to do a copy of your 3750G configuration by using a Terminal Emulator for example putty and save this config to a TXT file (the only thing needed is a "show run" from the old switch).

Then after console login into your new switch you can start copying the configuration and just taking note if any command is not applied.

HTH,

Julio

Thank you.

I log in to the switch on a daily basis and familiar with a lot of the commands like show run, etc but how would I technically paste the config into the new switch. Is that not possible? Also, how would I actually log into the new switch before I rack it and turn it on live, in order to set up the config?

I would say 95-98% of IOS line configurations is supported in IOS-XE.  

Thanks, is there a way to simply copy and paste from the old to the new switch?

is there a way to simply copy and paste from the old to the new switch?

If you want it done right then it should not be done "simply".  

Copy the config of the old switch into a text file and then copy the text file back to the new switch.  When pasting the config into the new switch, keep an eye out for any error messages.  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WS-C3650-24TS-S L3 switch and perhaps WS-C3650-24TS-L L2 switch

The part number that ends with "S" means it's IP Base or Layer 3 capable.  The part number that ends with "L" means it's LAN Base or Layer 2 switch.  Choose the model well, once LAN Base is purchased there is no way to upgrade to IP Base.  

In regards to your existing 3750 switches, there is a very healthy after-market for used 3750G.  Clean them up and sell them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card