Views
Helpful
Replies

Advise before buying a Cisco SG350X-24P switch

Filomena
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently bought a Cisco SG350-10P Switch.

I now plan to add a second switch to connect 2x 10G servers and a 10G management PC.

I am looking at the SG350X-24P switch.

Can I use the 2x 10G RJ45 ports and the 1x SFP+ port (with a copper 10G transceiver) to connect to my devises and use the last SFP+ port (again with a copper 10G transceiver) to uplink to the existing SG350-10P switch ?

What I am not sure is that in the specs it is written:

Switching: 1G

Uplink: 10 G

Does-it mean that the 4x 10G ports cannot be used for switching/routing between VLANs or regular devises ?

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tested the FS modules and they work properly at 10 gbps

FS for Cisco SFP-10G-T-S Compatible, 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 30m Transceiver

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
i dont use these but reading the data sheet , its says there combo ports so there's only 2 ports uplinks at 10Gb whether you use them as copper or fiber , so there may be 4 physically but only 2 can be used at a time but if you look at the 24F model that says 4 can be used ... 4 10GE Copper/SFP+ Combo maybe thats what you need

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/350x-series-stackable-managed-switches/datasheet-c78-735986.html

SG350X-24P
24 GE + 4 10GE
24 GE
2 10GE copper/SFP+ combo + 2 SFP+

I know it has 2x 10G combo + 2x dedicated SFP+

I was planning to use a 2x 10G copper Transceiver modules to connect third server to switch and to upling to 1G Switch

The problem is that price of the +4 copper 10G port switches is twice at least the SG350X-24P
So, is it possible to use the 10G SFP+ ports as regular ports, connected to devises, through a 10G copper transceiver ?

From the manual of the SG350X series:

MDI/MDIX—Media Dependent Interface (MDI)/Media Dependent Interface with Crossover (MDIX) status on the port.
The options are:
- MDIX—Select to swap the port's transmit and receive pairs.
- MDI—Select to connect this device to a station by using a straight through cable.
- Auto—Select to configure this device to automatically detect the correct pinouts for connection to another device

Can any Cisco owner confirm that the SFP+ ports can be used to connect a PC/Server through a third party 10G Copper SFP+ Transceiver ?

Hi
SFP+ ports work fine with 1GB sfp or 10GB sfps with right sfp ,but if your using non cisco sfps whether there supported or not can vary and there will be no support off Cisco if you use them if something goes wrong unfortunately they wont deal with anything non Cisco

the port itself if free can be used to connect to a server no issue but i would use a recommended sfp from the list below link for that switch , go to section Supported SFP/SFP+ modules

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/350xseries/quick_start/guide/Cisco350xseries-QSG-en-US.pdf

These switches support twinax , copper sfp cables that would connect to a server at 10GB lot cheaper than fiber sfp like below , there limited in length thats why there so cheap and the SFP is attached , we use them in racks to DELL servers , anything across racks use fibre with 10GB SR sfp which your device supports too

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/30862.html?currency=EUR&paid=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkbTEp5L75AIVDbDtCh3fSgxDEAQYASABEgKcpPD_BwE

Thank you

SG350X-24P will be in room 1 with 2 servers supporting 10G (RJ45): they can connect to the 2 regular copper 10G ports of the switch

SG350-10P will be in a 10m distant room 2 with one server supporting 10G (RJ45) and 8x 1G wall plugs connecting to distant devices

SG350-10P have to connect to the SG350X-24P through a CAT6 wall plug. It will be a 1G-1G ports connection and it is fine for most devices connecting to the SG350-10P

The 10G server in room 2 will have to connect to the distant SG350X-24P in room 1 also through a CAT6 (not 6A) wall plug. Connecting it to the nearby 1G only SG350P-10P would cause a massive drop in performance

I was looking at this module: FS for Cisco SFP-10G-T-S Compatible, 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 30m Transceiver Module

https://www.fs.com/de-en/products/66613.html

So, now that you answered my main question (SFP+ ports compatibility for switching and not only as uplinks), do you have experience with these copper modules ? The reviews are excellent, but I am not sure if they will work on my CAT6 links (currently, my CAT6 installation does support the 10G speeds)

many thanks again

tested the FS modules and they work properly at 10 gbps

FS for Cisco SFP-10G-T-S Compatible, 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ-45 30m Transceiver

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card